In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And it is hard to find anyone who speaks with administration officials off the record who believes their publicly pacific intentions.
- He seemed a pacific, reform-minded monarch, and educated liberals hoped for great things from him.
- Gulls fluttered above the breakers, sentries at the entrance to this more pacific kingdom.
- Your winning strategy is one of pacific resistance rather than dynamic offensive today.
- Thus, even though all states may possess thoroughly pacific intentions, international competition and conflict may still arise.
- Sadly, the Empress is quite pacific, though if her intention was to appear worshipful, she didn't quite succeed.
- In the midst of a violent and haggard existence Thomas takes an hour out of his day to practice piano in the modest living room of a quiet, pacific piano teacher.
- Enforcing the isolation of this callow and callous ruler is the least that a humane and pacific foreign policy must aim for.
- Our government is committed… to pursue all diplomatic and political - and hence pacific - efforts to obtain satisfaction.
- His face was pacific and showing a hint of content.
- As the cool water slowly soothes away my unjustified frustration, I feel my neck muscles relaxing and know my features are easing back to pacific calm.
- At first he was reluctant to accept my aid but once I played a soothing and pacific melody from my flute his spirit was calmed.
- I have taken many out-of-towners along this trail and they often marvel at the pacific nature of the dogs that congregate there.
1the Pacific (Ocean) — el (Océano) Pacífico
- before noun the Pacific Rim — los países de la costa del Pacífico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.