In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(formal agreement)pacto masculinomasculino pactomasculino convenionon-aggression pact — pacto de no agresión
- to make a pact with sb — hacer un pacto con algn
- he made a pact with the devil — hizo un pacto con el diablo
- If free trade were the only purpose of these trade pacts, the agreements could be written on a few sheets of paper.
- Besides, global trade pacts enjoin member states to bring down tariff walls.
- The idea of union pacts and solidarity arrangements between unions is an idea as old as the union movement itself.
- Oblivious, the party bosses clung on, negotiating pacts and deals, blocking any new ideas or initiatives.
- But formal pacts are much rarer in by-election campaigns.
- The pact provided for a disarmament process to be supervised by regional peace monitors.
- All constitutional parties opposed to the pact were unionist, and they had no such difficulty in uniting.
- They should not have interrupted the Assembly's business as it dealt with the trade pact.
- Traditionally, the Congress has eschewed formal, pre-poll pacts.
- But how did that fit in with the political pacts that were being elaborated in Ceylon?
- In this instance, private organizations negotiated and signed pacts on behalf of the governments of both sides, the report said.
- For the time being at least, all three leaders ruled out any kind of formal political pacts and said there would have to be greater discussion between the parties.
- It was more than just a pact of convenience over elections or some specific campaign.
- Union officials justified the pacts on the ground that the alternative was the elimination of the entire union contract.
- Parties form little pacts to suit themselves - pacts of convenience.
- But it also includes a push for tougher enforcement of trade pacts, including an assault on dumping and export subsidies.
- The main focus of these proposals is eradication pacts with community or individual growers.
- The meeting was the first since the creation of the pact to be attended by the head of the government.
- The main obstacle for all of the nationalist parties remains the preamble to the current pact.
- There are no recognized oaths, contracts, or pacts that apply to friends, as there are for family members.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.