In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At first sight, his canvases resemble palettes and drop cloths rather than finished compositions.
- The inventory of the contents of his studio made for probate purposes after his death lists a few standard items of equipment - easels, palettes, canvases - but nothing to hint at any unusual working method.
- Every one also has easels standing tall, accompanied by a weathered table speckled with paint and sporting a paintbox and palettes.
- Consequently Seurat did not mix the colors on his palette, but rather put little tiny spots of complementary color pigments on the canvas.
- With the rain keeping away for the day, the children, armed with drawing boards, paint, brushes and palettes, waited patiently for the 2002 edition of the competition to commence.
- The portrait is dominated by her own image, holding a palette and a paintbrush in her hands.
- The artist's easel, paint box, palettes, paintbrushes and dried tubes of paint occupied a corner.
2(range of color)gama femenino
- In this, the colour palette is darker and the drawings simpler and more stylised.
- If I were an artist, the colours on my palette would be browns, ochres and purples.
- Underlit by a blanket of fine coral sand, the colour of the ocean has the tropical palette of a Paul Gauguin painting and its turquoise-spearmint hues never dull with repeat viewing.
- The colour palette is primarily pastel - baby pink, sherbet lemon, ice blue and lilac, with a splash of vibrant red in the suit range.
- Its restrained palette, the sinuous, loopy drawing, and the interplay of seemingly simple forms and planes present a highly cerebral visual game.
- When translated into watercolor on silk, her paintings retain both the muted palette and slightly wrinkled texture of the leaf collages.
- The colour palette encompasses charcoal greys, tawny autumnal greens, silver and white.
- The rendering is so precise that these gouaches - each in a dominant palette of blues, greens, yellows or pinks - could pass for digital prints.
- Japanese watercolours shown at Far East exhibitions in Paris in the late nineteenth century affected the compositions and palettes of Matisse, Whistler, and Degas.
- Her early work consisted mostly of impressionistic nudes and still lifes painted with a bold palette.
- Lavishness of decoration, mastery of execution, expansion of palettes with mixed colours are some of the characteristics of Assam's manuscript paintings.
- Later, however, he turned to oil on canvas; his palette became lighter, with an emphasis on yellows.
- In the meantime, as you try to make up your mind, the striking palette and stylized figures are more than sufficient to hold your attention.
- Rouault trained with Matisse at Moreau's academy and exhibited with the Fauves, but his palette of colors and profound subject matter place him as an early, if isolated Expressionist.
- The reduced colour in this painting already reveals McCahon's sympathy for a monochrome palette.
- The colour palette includes subdued beiges, burgundies and charcoal blues on high-back chairs and sectional wall panels.
- His minimalist style of drawing and limited palette of colours are far from painterly, however.
- His palette drew from nature: heavy, dense ochres, browns, taupes and alizarin crimson.
- The palettes of these French artists, as well as the time the Scotsmen spent in the brilliant light of the south of France, had an important and lasting effect on their work.
- In 1626 he moved to Leiden, where he painted vanitas subjects and increasingly adopted the monochrome palette of Haarlem still-life painters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.