In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Although returning aristocrats tended to favor powdered hair and tight-fitting knee breeches in the old style, most middle-class men wore trousers or pantaloons and kept their hair in a natural style, whether tousled or à la Titus.
- The women wear conservative peasant dress consisting of baggy pantaloons and head scarves.
- Rather than take a prissy Knights Of The Round Table approach with Camelot, 16th century pantaloons and wigs, King Arthur is based on what the movie claims is newly discovered evidence of the man upon whom the myth is based.
- Philip really approved of the current fashion for tightly cut pantaloons.
- The nipped waistlines of men's tight pantaloons and the gauzy fabrics of women's empire dresses flattered youthful figures, and in fact, copied the kinds of clothing worn by young children.
- On his way out, he met Baldwin dressed soberly in a black frock coat and pantaloons.
- The Cypriot female costume was an outer garment, the chemise, and the distinctive long pantaloons caught around the ankle.
- I had to abandon many of my clothes and, with some help from a friend who knew dress - making, I made some pantaloons, similar to Pakistani dress.
- I bought a riding crop from a saddlemaker on the outskirts of town and dressed in pantaloons with a tightly drawn corset and laced up boots.
- In the 1890s, women some women found they could cast off their impractical and uncomfortable clothing in favour of pantaloons.
ajustado, usado en los siglos XVIII y XIX
2(baggy trousers)pantalones bombachos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.