In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1EEUU(trousers)pantalón masculinopantalones masculinoa pair of pants — un pantalón
- They wore trousers or pants as opposed to the knee-britches of their social superiors.
- He wore all black by way of a silken shirt, leather pants and combat boots.
- Many Nigerien men wear a flowing, sleeveless brocade gown over a matching shirt and drawstring pants.
- Wear a nice pair of classy pants, a matching shirt and elegant shoes, to be on the safe side.
- The shirts tucked into tight, ebony brown rawhide pants, trousers designed to keep the warmth in and the cold out.
- He laughed and gestured to his white shirt, smart black pants, black tie and white cloth draped over his arm.
- He wore a skin tight black muscle shirt, thick black jean pants, and gauntlets with open fingers.
- He slipped into a pair of dark blue trousers, but the pants were new and the tail opening was tighter than he was comfortable with.
- Nearly every other day at school, I wore combat boots, cook pants, a white shirt, suspenders, and a bowler.
- I cannot make him change this format, so I decided to buy him some new pants and shirts.
- The women that Isis had a glimpse of wore either bell-bottomed trousers, denim pants, or blue jeans.
- She is wearing flannel pajama pants and an old tank top.
- He was a short-framed man, dressed in a dark-green vest and combat pants.
- I changed out of my pajama pants and tank top, and into a pair of flared jeans and a blue halter-top, that matched my eyes.
- The stranger was dressed in a dark fur cloak with dark gray pants and an ash vest with a white short sleeve shirt underneath.
- Rachel came to the door in a white tank top shirt and casual jean pants.
- Lord I am so grateful for drawstring pants and trousers with elastic.
- First of all, suspenders should only be worn with dressy pants, not with jeans or khakis.
- We were both wearing quite casual attire - black pants, white shirt, tailored black jackets.
- She's in a white undershirt and black jogging pants and flip-flops.
2.1British (men's)calzoncillos masculinocalzones masculino Méxicointeriores masculino Colombia Venezuela
- Department store Marks & Spencer is launching an underwear range for men featuring thongs and glittery pants.
- The chaps Tom and I have styled all bought pants or boxers and vests and have all reported back that they are soft, fit really well and that their women think they look much better.
- She was dressed in green Marks and Spencer jeans, socks, white bra and black pants.
- They have reliably informed us that Chris does NOT wear his pants outside his trousers.
- I was standing in my bra and pants (both white) and a pair of black ankle socks.
- A 50 year old scientist burnt his private parts whilst using his laptop whilst wearing trousers and pants.
- Many stores now sell bikinis as separates, so you can buy the pants and bra in different sizes to ensure a perfect fit.
2.2British (women's)→ panties
2.3British slang (nonsense)tonterías femeninopendejadas femenino Cono Sur América Latina coloquialchorradas femenino España coloquialpavadas femenino Río de la Plata coloquialleseras femenino Chile coloquial
- I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunatly, I'd not looked at the opinions of others on Ciao..........boy, do I wish I had! It's pants. It really is a poor program.
- It's not art - it's pants.
2.4British informal (rubbish)porquería femeninothe film was pants — la película fue una porquería
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.