In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1papado masculinopontificado masculino
- Italian painter of the Umbrian School whose most important work in Rome and Siena celebrated the renewed authority of the papacy.
- But the kings also increasingly invoked the authority of the papacy as a source of legitimacy rather then popular acclamation.
- In 1309, a French pope moved the papacy (office of the pope) from Rome to Avignon in what is now France.
- Those who think little of the papacy or the Catholic Church can blame Pope Innocent III.
- Yet even as the papacy extended its universal authority, it might also contribute to the creation of national, secular identities.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.