In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The lord in the gospel parable of the wedding feast told his servants to fill his table by compelling people to come in.
- As with many of his parables, Jesus uses extreme examples to make his point.
- Jesus' use of parables also shows us that stories are not just for children or the unsophisticated.
- At the table he tells a parable in which he offers a lesson for the guests and a lesson for the hosts.
- The parable Jesus told about the prodigal son shows us what love means.
- He would often tell a little parable to illustrate in simple language the thoughts that came into his head.
- A request thrown at Jesus from the crowd sets the context of the parable of the rich fool.
- Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart.
- The parables of Jesus metaphorically break open myths and allow us to reimagine a new world.
- In the parable of the unmerciful servant the story is told of a man who owed his master millions.
- The Good Samaritan was a great parable and really gave me a newer aspect.
- Bringing a literal mind to the interpretations of Jesus' parables is usually not encouraged.
- Jesus Christ sometimes used the camel in parables.
- The parable he quotes, as with many of the parables from the Gospels, is symbolic in nature.
- He identifies the parable of the Prodigal Son as a story which has profoundly shaped Christianity.
- In the parable of the sheep and the goats, Jesus indicates that some will be condemned.
- Jesus told the crowds all these things in parables; without a parable he told them nothing.
- Similarly, the parables in Scripture are stories meant to help us think and act with Jesus.
- Here, as in other parables, Jesus uses a symbol to turn our understanding upside down.
- In each gospel some of the parables are linked explicitly to Jesus' proclamation of the kingdom of God.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.