In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He has suggested it to no one connected with the Parliament, nor is he willing to.
- There is a view that our Parliament has fallen in esteem because of legislation from Europe.
- The annual budget only comes into force once the President of the Parliament has signed it.
- To move it could involve changing an act of Parliament which governs the use of the downs.
- It is now up to the Commission to submit a new, or the same, proposal to the Parliament.
- Anyone care to tell me whether this bill made it though Parliament this week?
- Electioneering promises that go beyond the life of a Parliament are thus mere wind.
- We need a House with more scientists; we have enough lawyers in Parliament as it is.
- Some of the proposals in the White Paper will need to be passed by Parliament before they can go ahead.
- The Parliament can request the Commission to draft legislation for debate in any area.
- It is not difficult to understand the reason Parliament adopted the approach that it did.
- Her main supporters in the Parliament have stood aside for her, but at what price?
- The Parliament has the power to reject the budget and fire the Commission if it so chooses.
- The courts are to have due regard to the legislation as an expression of the will of Parliament.
- The Head of State was a President who was elected by Parliament for seven years.
- The Bill passed the committee stage and is now close to sailing through Parliament.
- If this does not occur, the next step is for the Parliament to have its second reading of the budget.
- So Parliament must get on with making this new law effective as soon as possible.
- If Parliament had any such intention, it would surely have made its intention plain.
- Rather, it is a case of the Parliament choosing its battles more judiciously than in the past.
2Parliament(in UK etc)(body) Parlamento masculino(period) legislatura femeninoto stand for Parliament — presentarse como candidato a parlamentario / diputado
- during this Parliament — durante esta legislatura
- This was not helped by the fact that the new Parliament was patently not ready for the occasion.
- As a professed radical, he was to prove a singularly jaded observer of parliaments, parliamentary processes, and parliamentarians.
- Rather than lose the vote, she dissolved parliament on October 10 and called an early election.
- He can dissolve the parliament, and nominate people to all the key state functions.
- The country elects a new parliament in February, lawmakers more closely aligned than ever before with President Mohammad Khatami.
- Again there is doubt over funding increases in the final two years of the Parliament.
- Parliament may pass a human rights act, but a future parliament could repeal or emasculate it.
- Both of these were bills that were lost when parliament dissolved for the election.
- In November 1987, a new parliament was elected and a new cabinet appointed.
- I was delighted when we won the referendum and becoming a member of the parliament was the icing on the cake.
- Members of a corrupt parliament are ready to make deals with whomsoever has anything to offer.
- For centuries Britain, and now almost all nations, has relied on elected parliaments, congresses, prime ministers and presidents to set the rules.
- The next governments, presidents and parliaments had a quite inconsistent policy towards the BOC.
- He has been a member of Parliament in five parliaments.
- El Parlamento británico es el más alto organismo legislativo de Gran Bretaña y está formado por la Cámara de los Lores House of Lords y la Cámara de los Comunes House of Commons
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.