In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Construcciónparqué masculinoparquet masculino(floor) (before noun) de parqué(floor) (before noun) de parquet
- Many of the floors are parquet or other forms of wooden flooring.
- The entrance hall with open tread staircase and polished parquet flooring leads to a drawing room and bar area with a beamed ceiling and a timber floor.
- In the first floor offices oak parquet flooring and silver aluminium roof make a soothing, neutral interior.
- The ceilings have fantastic mouldings, the floors are mostly wooden parquet throughout (except the red tiles in the kitchen) and the main rooms have exquisite marble fireplaces.
- The living room is immediately to the left inside the hall and it has parquet flooring and a cast-iron fireplace.
- The room has an impressive Adam-style marble fireplace and although presently carpeted, is fitted with parquet flooring.
- A dog-leg staircase which has the original wrought-iron railing leads to the first floor landing with herringbone parquet flooring.
- The dining room has a pitched ceiling, an original fireplace, parquet flooring and two front-facing arched windows.
- An ornamental sink, parquet flooring and solid wood units at eye and floor level are features of this cosy room.
- The house is accessed via a tiled porch, beyond which the L-shaped hallway includes parquet flooring, ceiling coving and understairs storage.
- Only marginally smaller than the lounge and with a similar bay window that also has stained glass leaded panels, the sitting room has another ornate marble fireplace with a coal-effect gas fire and oak parquet flooring.
- Across the hall is an elegant dining room, also with original oak parquet flooring, while the lounge has another gas fireplace as well as a window seat overlooking the front garden.
- This includes money spent on fitting carpets, laying parquet flooring, installing new electrical lighting, fitting a new bathroom suite and installing a new kitchen.
- An ocean of polished parquet flooring stood between the stairs and the front door.
- The trend for recycling salvaged sinks, tiles, parquet flooring and gargoyles, or anything else that can be gleaned from about-to-be-demolished noteworthy buildings, has boomed.
- When sanding parquet, block, herringbone and similar flooring, it is necessary to cross the grain of many pieces with each pass.
- It is finished to high standards with parquet flooring throughout, gypsum walls and ceilings, air conditioning and triple glazing.
- The most popular styles of hardwood flooring are parquet, strip and plank.
- He also retained the herringbone parquet flooring and double-height sash windows, blending the existing elements of the building with sumptuous fabrics and walnut panelling.
- Seen from the Parquet and illuminated by the skylight, a sculpture by Irène Whittome gives an atmosphere of relaxation.
- However, the traditional faculty-staff seating - four sections in the parquet - remains, and most faculty will be seated there.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.