In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.
- Add the stock, bay leaves and parsley reserving a small amount of parsley for garnish.
- Add the reserved broth, fontina, Parmesan, walnuts, parsley and some salt and pepper.
- Mussels are in my mind best cooked in their own steam with garlic, shallots, parsley, white wine and cream.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the chopped parsley and leeks, and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- The flesh has a light, delicate taste that goes well with fresh herbs such as lemon thyme and parsley.
- Tenderise the steaks, season well and sprinkle with Parmesan, garlic and parsley.
- I put ginger in it last time and added a fistful of chopped parsley and coriander at the table.
- For the main course we chose pork tenderloin wrapped in spinach, parsley and garlic.
- Add the parsley, coriander and mint and mix it in thoroughly by hand.
- Make the lemon oil by combining the lemon rind, parsley, sea salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to the frying pan and bring to the boil.
- Using your hands, mix the bread with the meat, garlic, nutmeg, parsley, egg, salt and pepper.
- I am now the proud owner of all the fresh basil, bay leaves, thyme, sage and parsley a girl could want.
- Drain the pasta, toss it with the artichokes, olive oil, parsley and Parmesan.
- Add the chopped tomato and most of the basil and parsley, stirring, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Flat-leafed parsley looks like coriander but can easily be distinguished by smell.
- Top with the horseradish crème fraiche, crisp bacon and sprigs of parsley or dill.
- Arrange the chicken on a large platter and scatter with coriander or parsley.
- Add the sea salt, pepper and parsley to the lentils, stir through, and serve in warmed shallow soup or pasta bowls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.