In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1canto polifónico masculino
- Instrumental tutors were published and glees (simple part-songs for male voices) became popular.
- But this re-issue features solo songs, part-songs and canonic works in a variety of styles.
- Gradually part-songs were more likely to be performed by choirs instead of soloists.
- The type of music would range from Bach to Beatles, part-songs, madrigals, folksongs, anthems, carols, show choruses - in fact anything which can be sung in four-part harmony.
- Their aurally-developed harmonic style owed a great deal to both Church of England hymnody and the amateur part-songs of the Victorian ‘glee clubs.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.