In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- With the cello suites and the solo violin sonatas and partitas, they form a triptych of Bach at his most concentrated and intimate.
- The solo violin works alternate partitas and sonatas.
- These six works, written in a year, are in a direct line from Bach's solo violin sonatas and partitas.
- The recording was inspired by the research of Helga Thoene, a musicologist who argues that Bach alluded to chorales in the Chaconne from the second partita for solo violin.
- Contestants could choose part of a Bach solo sonata or a partita.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.