In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(lover/love/affair/kiss) apasionado(hatred) mortal(admirer/follower) ardiente(admirer/follower) ferviente(speech) vehemente(speech) ardorosohe has a passionate enthusiasm for horse-racing — le apasionan las carreras de caballos
- she's passionate about gardening — es una apasionada de la jardinería
- she was passionate in her defense of the party — fue vehemente en su defensa del partido
- She is equally passionate about cooking, and has co-authored a book on royal cuisine with her husband.
- Are we going to hear fire emanating from the president on the issues he's most passionate about?
- It is unusual for a footballer to be so passionate about playing for his country.
- A focussed mind and a strong will to win always make me passionate about motor racing.
- I've been seeing a woman for over a year, and we share an exciting and passionate love life.
- Well it's not like we have to be in some kind of passionate love embrace, right?
- The pair escape to his rooftop garret and, free from the cares of the world, begin a passionate love affair.
- Unaipon was a strong advocate of education just as I am passionate about educating people through art.
- She is a keen photographer, is a big fan of basketball and is passionate about deep sea diving.
- He was passionate about the craft and had a keen interest in encouraging young people to get in involved in it.
- They then shared a passionate kiss that only two people truly in love could share.
- For the future of Bradford lets hope the people can be as passionate about their city as their football team.
- Theories of intimate relationships in the modern world view passionate love as a problem to be managed.
- Many in our society make the mistake of equating love with passionate love.
- He is passionate about Castle Howard as a subject and keen to tackle it from all angles, from classical to abstract and modern styles.
- They are so passionate about their football and it is beginning to show in the quality of the players.
- The focus of the narrative is on the life of an architect and a bank officer who get married after a passionate love affair.
- He was so passionate about his job and supporting fair trade.
- Also, when she's making a movie, which involves passionate love scenes, he's deeply suspicious.
- We were with nature, making mad passionate love in the long grass.
- Most people who are passionate about football would say that, I think.
- A passionate love affair ensues between the pair, which has doom written all over it.
- Haylee wrapped her arms around his neck, making the kiss more intense and passionate.
- Extremely passionate, sexual fulfilment is very important to you.
- He was very passionate about the game of hurling and remained a loyal follower of the black and amber of his native Kilkenny.
- It's really impressive the way they support the team and are so passionate about the club.
- Outside work, Mr Ainley has always been passionate about sport, especially football and golf.
- We met and fell in love and had a torrid passionate affair.
- We ended up going back upstairs and making passionate love again.
- I had to try to put my intense passionate love for him to the side and be his friend.
- Football ran through his veins and he was very passionate about it.
- One day, their passions overcame them and they took off for her house, where they made passionate love all afternoon.
- That will come as a relief to Giffard, who is as passionate about the rule of law as he is a supporter of countryside sports.
- Let me give a background as to why I am so passionate about the issue.
- All the world needs to know is that the two lovers were in love and they made passionate love to each other.
- Cromwell is as passionate about his art as he is about his political beliefs.
- Adventure seekers are likely to have many intense and passionate affairs.
- At first the kiss was simple and slow, but soon it became more passionate, full of love and promise.
- The passionate love between Heloise and her teacher would cost him dearly.
- Mr Merchant, 41, is passionate about football and gets a real kick out of seeing the children in his club succeed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.