In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They said that protectionism and paternalism would only harm producers from developing nations.
- As for the colonies in Asia and Africa, authoritarian paternalism - not self-government - was the order of the day.
- Your Honour, it is not as much paternalism as facilitating a process.
- Indeed, I do tend to question public policy arguments based on paternalism.
- He remained throughout his life motivated by an abiding belief in the twin myths of racial paternalism and national mission.
- Thanks to your misguided paternalism, racial tension will always be front and center.
- They don't want paternalism or dependence when they are entitled to resources of their own.
- This is where paternalism - chosen or imposed - must be admitted.
- The cases reek of legal paternalism and legal moralism but little reference is made to ideas of personal autonomy or sovereignty.
- I moved towards the right by talking to the alleged ‘beneficiaries’ of liberal paternalism.
- And people said left wing media was doomed because of arrogance and paternalism!
- The bureaucratic paternalism and social control techniques of the employers are briefly exemplified.
- The Government may mean well in moving this bill forward, but such paternalism is misplaced when it changes the rules of the social game.
- Justifying government policies on the basis of paternalism is just one of many analogies used to mislead people about their true nature and effects.
- Another profession, the medical, has just been criticised for arrogance, paternalism and complacency.
- Trade is far better than aid, which evokes dependency and paternalism.
- For public health policy to be realised, paternalism must be replaced by active encouragement of patients to participate in their own care.
- This kind of paternalism will not solve the problem.
- This ‘we know what's best for them’ sentiment is evidence of paternalism, not solidarity.
- There is a thoroughly conservative article here that takes up the burden of finding a balance between liberty and paternalism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.