In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's the irony of the situation today that those who claim to be Indian patriots supported British rule.
- We are not hostile or petty little nationalists, but true patriots of Yorkshire.
- The Revolution itself divided the populace, with patriots and loyalists battling one another for control of what each saw as their country.
- Almost every decade some dismal group of self-proclaimed patriots mobilises to repel a new invasion or subversive threat.
- Both her paternal and maternal relatives were American patriots who vigorously supported the new republic of the United States of America.
- Along the way, he proves that a true patriot is one who defends his or her country's finest ideals.
- They are true patriots at a time when patriotism is under attack.
- He is a fierce patriot and will support Canada at every turn.
- All Iraqi patriots, they reason, would support such a solution.
- All the founders had been passionate patriots during the American Revolution and ardent nationalists once the Republic was established.
- To me, a true patriot is one whose allegiance is to freedom, not to flags.
- It is people like you who are the true patriots, and people like them, who betray the rule of law at their whim, who are the traitors.
- The following night partisans and patriots occupy the regional government buildings and barracks.
- I believe I'm more of a patriot and more jingoistic than these people who see me as a radical.
- He was a patriot grappling with questions of emancipation, dependence, neocolonialism, and the creation of a genuine social revolution.
- Each generation of Americans has been called upon to produce patriots, patriots willing to dedicate their lives to the defense of liberty.
- I used to be a true patriot of our country and I turned into something really horrible.
- He wasn't a total genius - he was a true patriot, but not a total genius.
- Third, we cannot do our duty as citizens and patriots if we pursue an agenda that polarizes and divides our country.
- Those whose loyalty was to their goods could not be true patriots.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.