In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Why would they ask us to prove our patriotism and support for the United States?
- What I like about the film is that it is just about war, not about the nationalism or patriotism associated with it.
- To set against this there were many examples of patriotism and patriotic fervour in the town at this time.
- There's a lot of patriotism here, and a lot of it is new patriotism, uncertain patriotism.
- In all cases, nationalism and patriotism proved powerful cement for bonding the state with society.
- Is patriotism and nationalism even relevant anymore, or is this another form of tribalism?
- In times of war, the distinction between patriotism and nationalism vanishes.
- In the face of this lack of true patriotism and support, of what use is money?
- I suppose I have seen so many people behave stupidly because of some notion of nationalism or patriotism that it just annoys me.
- If I ruled the world, nationalism and patriotism would be abolished.
- It's a bizarre concept that intertwines issues of patriotism and sporting chauvinism.
- The patriotism characteristic of Americans is visible everywhere.
- In the midst of such simple-minded patriotism, the quality of the acting seems pretty immaterial.
- Some let religions guide them, others seek worth for their lives in patriotism and nationalism.
- Politicians of all persuasions are calling for national unity and patriotism.
- The veteran did not forget to slip in a message or two about such things as character development and patriotism.
- She might have added Spenser's Britomart, whose name indicates both her patriotism and her warlike character.
- Into this steaming pot are thrown various statements about religion, culture, nationhood and patriotism.
- This would be a problem, because there are a lot of issues concerning patriotism and notions of nation.
- I don't see it as a motivation tool, national pride or patriotism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.