In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1coche patrulla masculinopatrullero masculino Río de la Plataauto patrulla masculino Chile
- Two officers arrived at the scene in a patrol car almost immediately.
- Police in a highway patrol car saw two men running away and took them to the police station for questioning.
- Television images showed young men surrounding a police patrol car and slamming bricks into it from close range.
- One of the neighbours must have called the police, because just as I stuck my head out of my bedroom window, a police patrol car pulled up.
- Police officers arrived at the scene almost immediately as a patrol car was on a ramp just yards from where the accident happened.
- It is now commonplace to drive for hundreds of miles without seeing a police patrol car, and I believe that that is a very bad thing for road safety.
- Robert and Brendan were picked up by a passing police patrol car.
- Police who disturbed a pair of burglars had their patrol car rammed three times as the men tried to get away, a court heard.
- A Garda patrol car, which was in the area, was at the scene in minutes and caught the gunman as he tried to run from the scene.
- Most significantly, the student went across to a police patrol car in the vicinity to report the incident.
- He was seen by a police patrol car but the teenager refused to stop and sped away from the officers.
- Two police officers were also on hand in a patrol car parked next to the jet.
- The policemen were in a patrol car parked at the traffic lights in Abbey Street when they heard glass smashing due to the heat of the fire.
- The Gardaí returned to their patrol car, called for back up and then gave chase.
- When the firecrew called in Police support the PSNI patrol car came under attack as well.
- They had already robbed a filling station and rammed a Garda patrol car before the single vehicle accident.
- While the police officer ducked into his patrol car, Finn considered making a run for it.
- Police officers in a patrol car saw the incident and ordered him to stop.
- The Garda patrol car went back to the area to seek out those responsible.
- You just ride in your patrol car around the streets of Phoenix looking to see if there is any trouble!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.