In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(small pie)empanada femenino América Latinaempanadilla femenino España
- Samaoas are carefully constructed coconut patties with caramel and an intricate chocolate design.
- We went nuts for the Key Lime Pie and of course, the coconut patties.
- Jan also makes a delicious range of flans, wraps, fritters and patties in the kitchen of her River Bank Road home.
- I push the pastry down loosely into the patty tins.
- The other day mention was being made of plantain tarts and patties on board.
- Fry the patties in a thin layer of sunflower oil until nicely golden.
- If you're lucky, you'll visit on warm-coconut-rice-cake day, a small rice and coconut patty accompanied by a fresh oval slice of sweet mango.
2(of minced meat) hamburguesa femenino(of chopped vegetables, fish) croqueta femenino
- He returned a few minutes later with my sausage patties on another plate.
- To freeze ground meat, shape into patties and wrap individually.
- The sensory characteristics of broiled and grilled bison patties were evaluated by a trained sensory panel.
- Most specialise in such Caribbean favourites as chicken jerky, spicy meat patties and sweetened fried banana.
- Form a ground beef patty and throw it on the grill.
- The cooking time for the grilled patties was significantly shorter than for the broiled patties.
- The burgers consist of chicken or beef patties sandwiched between two rice cakes.
- I ordered my usual - two eggs, two pancakes, two sausage patties.
- "I always come out here, " I said eating my chicken patty.
- One fellow worked the grill, cooking the patties.
- She put three frozen hamburger patties into the microwave to defrost them.
- The man held out both hands, a cooked hamburger patty in one and the shirt in the other.
- Then after the beach I went home and cooked, burger patties and roast potatoes!
- To test for taste, make a small patty of the meat mixture and sauté until cooked.
- Using the same pan, fry a small patty of the meat mixture and taste to test the seasoning.
- You also can buy prepared soy burger patties.
- Place patties on grill and cook five minutes per side or until golden brown.
- I've since worked out that the same principle works well for hamburger patties.
- We started with the meat patty, as that was a simple round.
- Place patties on grill and cook about eight minutes per side or until cooked through.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.