In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pintor de aceras masculinopintora de aceras femenino
- A group of young pavement artists took the opportunity to show off their winning talents in the centre of York.
- I'd been trudging round the town in a bit of a mood for a while when I came across a pavement artist - a girl about twenty, I guess.
- As a matter of fact, the sight of pavement artists outside the National Gallery gave me the idea of decorating the vestibule.
- A pavement artist was ordered to wipe clean the front wall of Pembroke's 200-year-old town hall after his drawing of a colourful serpent annoyed the council.
- And, outside on the sidewalk, a pavement artist transforms a wall that was used as a urinal into a religious mural that becomes a public shrine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.