In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1paz femeninopara la paz(initiative/proposal) de paz(campaign/march) por la pazthey live in / at peace with their neighbors — viven en paz con sus vecinos
- the two nations have been at peace for years — hace años que las dos naciones viven en paz
- to be at peace with oneself — estar en paz consigo mismo
- to be at peace with the world — estar satisfecho de la vida
- to make peace with sb — hacer las paces con algn
- peace conference — conferencia de paz
- peace envoy — enviada de paz
- the peace movement — el movimiento pacifista
- he brought her flowers as a peace offering — le trajo flores en señal de reconciliación
- peace settlement — acuerdo de paz
- peace studies — estudios de / para la paz
- The resulting peace agreement included a six-year interim period before a vote on independence.
- As a consequence Egypt enjoyed long periods of peace when society advanced rapidly.
- War had resumed on the continent in 1805, though the period of peace with Britain had ended even before the Empire was proclaimed.
- We were told that the end of the Cold War would bring a new period of peace and reduced military spending.
- Yes, there were aberrations like the American Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War, but mostly it was a period of peace.
- Great prosperity at home and peace abroad enshrine the current period as a golden age in the nation's history.
- Private property and relative freedom to trade gave humanity the longest period of peace in history.
- The island, as a whole, is enjoying a sustained period of peace as we face the new century for the first time in decades.
- Other countries, including members of the European Union, may also be welcomed to play a role in monitoring any peace agreement.
- The prolonged period of peace in Europe has created a dangerous temptation to neglect our defences, both physical and psychological.
- Both kenjutsu and jujutsu aimed at being self defence martial arts during the period of peace.
- It was also realized in both kingdoms that for changes to be implemented, there needed to be a period of peace.
- For China, reform and development require a long period of peace.
- It reopens the prospect of a period when resistance to imperialism is not about peace processes, but about struggle.
- Neither party will trust the other to implement any peace agreement on its own.
- That's what I think Americans can do with this providential period of prosperity and peace.
- It also tells us that there was a long period of peace as the men were not needed to fight in any wars.
- It had gained respect and authority by ushering in a period of peace and stability in the city.
- With the comprehensive peace agreement, the suffering of our people will come to an end.
- The simple thirst for revenge on the part of a few could be enough to derail any peace agreements that might come about in the future.
1.2(treaty)paz femeninothe Peace of Ryswick — la Paz de Ryswick
- Finally, in 1842, the Chinese were forced to agree to an ignomious peace under the Treaty of Nanking.
- If Israelis and Palestinians are unwilling or unable to negotiate a workable peace, the international community must take the lead in promoting one.
- They negotiate a peace with the French, who agree in the hope of gaining future advantage.
- Hungary, a German satellite in the war, tried, covertly, to negotiate a separate peace.
- It also recommends concrete steps that need to be taken as part of the process of negotiating a lasting peace.
- The selection committee nudges warring parties towards a peace that is achievable, but not quite achieved.
- The peace effectively reinstated the Treaty of Madrid but on more favourable terms for the French.
- Now they have to prove that they have not only the will but the authority to end the violence and negotiate a compromise peace.
- An uneasy peace was negotiated during the dying embers of Bonetti's reign.
- We must conduct our affairs in such a way that it becomes in the Communists' interest to agree on a genuine peace.
2Derechoto breach / (British) disturb the peace — alterar el orden público
- He said he hoped his visit would be a focal point for discussion of what the community could do to restore peace.
- If he can do this, peace will be automatically restored!
- Police officers who restored peace to the riot-torn streets of Bradford last year were also due to be honoured for their bravery last night.
- To recognize the right to free association might have meant to deprive hundreds of millions of the right of civil peace.
- Let us confirm our commitment to all civil rights and let us declare peace a civil right in a democracy, a human right in this world.
- The state relied on the clan for the maintenance of a minimum of civil peace, in exchange leaving it a free hand as far as internal politics were concerned.
- The king insists that he took direct control over the country's affairs to restore peace at a time when violence literally engulfed the kingdom.
- This was 7.30 on a Saturday morning and we fought for an hour and a half, with the alarm sounding continually, to restore peace to the neighborhood.
- We know this fight is the way to defend the values that are at the basis of civil life and peace.
- For civil peace - if not justice - to come about, the crimes and violence of the past have to be confronted.
- He divided the prize money evenly among five organizations devoted to civil rights and peace.
- Meanwhile another, more ominous phantom revolution was threatening civil peace in Germany.
- Contention leads to war, and war is the antithesis of civil peace.
- Good relations with Elizabeth were vital to maintaining the civil peace in France.
- It acknowledges the de facto separation of peoples in order to try to achieve civil peace.
- A Council source revealed the investigation into the assault could take weeks to complete but moves have already been made to restore peace.
- There were rumblings and grumblings at special meetings called by the church council in a vain bid to restore peace.
- There are signs that peace has been restored and businesses are showing profits once again.
- The meeting was held to chalk out measures for restoring peace on the campus.
- It is the foundation of our priceless civil peace, which is the envy and wonder of the world.
3(quiet, tranquillity)paz femeninothe peace and quiet of the countryside — la paz y tranquilidad del campo
- I went to the library for some peace and quiet — me fui a la biblioteca para poder estar tranquilo
- the peace of mind that comes with old age — la serenidad que da la edad
- I turned off the gas for my own peace of mind — apagué el gas para quedarme tranquilo
- to be at peace — descansar en paz
- rest in peace — que en paz descanse
- let me finish this in peace — déjame acabar esto en paz
- let me have a bit of peace — déjame tranquilo / en paz un momento
- he won't give you any peace until he's got what he wants — no te va a dejar tranquila / en paz hasta que no se salga con la suya
- He said the number of visitors also had a social impact, both on other visitors who went in search of peace and tranquillity, and on the local population.
- Right now, it's telling me that I've enjoyed dropping out of the rat race over the festive period, savouring peace, relaxation and sleep.
- Now my Sundays are for worship, family, friends, reading, rest, and relaxation-such freedom and peace.
- But you need only step a few streets away from the beach for the cacophony to subside and for peace to be restored.
- We offer peace and quiet, no resident children, structured control and security.
- All we can give them is honor for their sacrifice, and freedom and peace for their families.
- The right to enter a church, to worship, say a prayer, soak up the atmosphere and to find a few moments' peace should be free to all.
- Even so I seemed at every point of contact to be surrounded by abrasive people intent on disturbing my peace, my comfort, and my equable nature.
- This would be followed by a short period of peace with respite from the pressure inside his head.
- It was as if it had suddenly tasted peace and freedom after the tumult and congestion of Italy.
- For three noisy, polluted decades they have campaigned for the bypass which would restore their village's peace and safety.
- The centre offers a place of peace and hope for those who are on the road to recovery.
- There was just something about her that radiated peace, tranquility, and that made her very popular.
- A way of life beckons that promises peace in a beautiful place, where the weather is kind, wine plentiful, and food exquisite.
- But that period of peace from the media will now come to an abrupt end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.