In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1paz femeninopara la paz(initiative/proposal) de paz(march/campaign) por la pazthey live in / at peace with their neighbors — viven en paz con sus vecinos
- the two nations have been at peace for years — hace años que las dos naciones viven en paz
- to be at peace with oneself — estar en paz consigo mismo
- to be at peace with the world — estar satisfecho de la vida
- to make peace with sb — hacer las paces con algn
- they made their peace after their mother's death — hicieron las paces tras la muerte de su madre
- peace conference — conferencia de paz
- peace envoy — enviado de paz
- the peace movement — el movimiento pacifista
- he brought her flowers as a peace offering — le trajo flores en señal de reconciliación
- peace settlement — acuerdo de paz
- peace studies — estudios de / para la paz
- The simple thirst for revenge on the part of a few could be enough to derail any peace agreements that might come about in the future.
- War had resumed on the continent in 1805, though the period of peace with Britain had ended even before the Empire was proclaimed.
- Both kenjutsu and jujutsu aimed at being self defence martial arts during the period of peace.
- With the comprehensive peace agreement, the suffering of our people will come to an end.
- We were told that the end of the Cold War would bring a new period of peace and reduced military spending.
- That's what I think Americans can do with this providential period of prosperity and peace.
- Other countries, including members of the European Union, may also be welcomed to play a role in monitoring any peace agreement.
- It had gained respect and authority by ushering in a period of peace and stability in the city.
- It also tells us that there was a long period of peace as the men were not needed to fight in any wars.
- The island, as a whole, is enjoying a sustained period of peace as we face the new century for the first time in decades.
- Private property and relative freedom to trade gave humanity the longest period of peace in history.
- As a consequence Egypt enjoyed long periods of peace when society advanced rapidly.
- It was also realized in both kingdoms that for changes to be implemented, there needed to be a period of peace.
- The prolonged period of peace in Europe has created a dangerous temptation to neglect our defences, both physical and psychological.
- It reopens the prospect of a period when resistance to imperialism is not about peace processes, but about struggle.
- For China, reform and development require a long period of peace.
- Great prosperity at home and peace abroad enshrine the current period as a golden age in the nation's history.
- Yes, there were aberrations like the American Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War, but mostly it was a period of peace.
- Neither party will trust the other to implement any peace agreement on its own.
- The resulting peace agreement included a six-year interim period before a vote on independence.
1.2(treaty)paz femeninothe Peace of Ryswick — la Paz de Ryswick
- The peace effectively reinstated the Treaty of Madrid but on more favourable terms for the French.
- Hungary, a German satellite in the war, tried, covertly, to negotiate a separate peace.
- Now they have to prove that they have not only the will but the authority to end the violence and negotiate a compromise peace.
- It also recommends concrete steps that need to be taken as part of the process of negotiating a lasting peace.
- They negotiate a peace with the French, who agree in the hope of gaining future advantage.
- We must conduct our affairs in such a way that it becomes in the Communists' interest to agree on a genuine peace.
- The selection committee nudges warring parties towards a peace that is achievable, but not quite achieved.
- Finally, in 1842, the Chinese were forced to agree to an ignomious peace under the Treaty of Nanking.
- An uneasy peace was negotiated during the dying embers of Bonetti's reign.
- If Israelis and Palestinians are unwilling or unable to negotiate a workable peace, the international community must take the lead in promoting one.
2Derechoto keep the peace — mantener el orden
- to breach / disturb the peace — alterar el orden público
3(quiet, tranquillity)paz femeninothe peace and quiet of the countryside — la paz y tranquilidad del campo
- I went to the library for some peace and quiet — me fui a la biblioteca para poder estar tranquilo
- the peace of mind that comes with old age — la serenidad que da la edad
- I turned off the gas for my own peace of mind — apagué el gas para quedarme tranquilo
- to be at peace — descansar en paz
- rest in peace — que en paz descanse
- let me finish this in peace — déjame acabar esto en paz
- let me have a bit of peace — déjame tranquilo / en paz un momento
- he won't give you any peace until he's got what he wants — no te va a dejar tranquila / en paz hasta que no se salga con la suya
- to hold one's peace — guardar silencio
- speak now or forever hold your peace — que hable ahora o que calle para siempre
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.