In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1señal de paz femenino
- And he kept holding up his fingers, I thought, in the peace sign.
- And very much in keeping with the pacifist mood in Germany at the moment, the message was superimposed on a 60s peace sign.
- She had a tattoo of the peace sign on her upper back, and had gone on a highly enjoyable tour of Europe when she was fourteen.
- As she waved to the crowd, she held up another finger, making the peace sign.
- Maybe put something cool off to the side like Hendrix or Marley or a peace sign or something.
- Up until this point I had virtually ignored the police, just thrown up an occasional peace sign to them every now and then.
- She wore jeans with peace signs on them, a sweater with peace signs on it, and peace sign earrings.
- She flashed a peace sign as she came on stage.
- People in cars at the intersections honked their horns and many gave the peace sign.
- He held up two fingers in an incredulous peace sign.
- You know the one - the cute little thing sitting on daddy's shoulders, making the peace sign, and wearing a costume bomb belt.
- All along the march the police were being provocative while my sister and I held up our hands in a peace sign.
- Here, a ‘group of bicycle enthusiasts’ form a peace sign in a park in Vancouver, B.C.
- After five or so songs, he flashes a peace sign and walks off the stage.
- A teacher in another nephew's school is fired for wearing a T-shirt with a peace sign on it.
- An ecumenical service was held on the Sunday morning, participants marking their foreheads with the sign of the cross, the peace sign, and the anarchist symbol.
- A few Sundays ago a large white van from Tennessee with a flag and peace sign painted on it circled the vigil and then parked.
- ‘Make peace not war,’ Adele added and made her fingers into a peace sign.
- In it he sits to my left, holding a slice of pizza in his mouth with his right hand while using the other to form a peace sign.
- The woman makes the peace sign with her right hand, and while the officer has his arm around her, his pose doesn't convey affection or grace.
- Perched on her grandma's shoulders, an apple-cheeked 5-year-old flashes a peace sign.
- The school bus has been renovated with flowers and peace signs painted on the side.
- And right above those two words was the peace sign from the anti-nuclear campaign of the early 1960s.
- In Hungary, protesters holding blazing torches formed a human peace sign in Budapest's Heroes' Square.
- The red flag is too bloodied by history; the peace sign is a retro fashion accessory.
- I want to be like her and paint a big peace sign on the side of a school or something.
- I drew a little peace sign with my black sharpie.
- While being led away, he gave the peace sign to family members.
- ‘Relax man,’ one of the protesters called, flashing him a peace sign and a lopsided smile.
- He extends his first two fingers, creating the peace sign.
- The three companies had apparently hired youths to illegally spray paint stencils of a peace sign on city streets and sidewalks.
- Police threatened to break the arms and fingers of any protester who held up a peace sign and none were given any food until 10 a.m. the next day.
- In this case, it was the story of a woman who had aroused the anger of her neighbours by putting a peace sign on her apartment door after the attacks.
- It consists of a large wall-hung peace sign made of metal tubing.
- In Central Park, the demonstrators formed a human peace sign and faced a stage on the west side of a large open field.
- They smiled, and many gave me a ‘thumbs-up’ sign or a peace sign.
- There were peace signs everywhere, a dream catcher on top of her bed and there was all this funky music.
- They argued with me over the logo - they thought the bomb was ‘too violent’ and wanted to paint a peace sign on it.
- The photo below shows a group of high school students giving the peace sign.
- And so, the next day, we crossed paths and you gave a peace sign and I smiled and pointed in reply.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.