In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1perla femenino(necklace/earrings) de perlasa string of pearls — un collar de perlas
- Her matching pearl earrings and necklace elegantly decorated her.
- She had changed from her khaki uniform to a more casual blue slacks, white pullover sweater and blue shoes, pearl earrings and a pearl necklace.
- The dress had a pair of arm-length gloves, a pearl necklace and earrings, and a pair of glass high-heel dress shoes.
- A simple rhinestone or pearl necklace and earring set will enhance the look of your maids.
- Unconsciously, her hands worked to take off her small pearl earrings as she entered her room and closed the door behind her.
- Some of the antique jewellery was studded with emeralds, ruby, zircons and pearls.
- She wore a crisp business suit, which was shown off by a pearl necklace and matching earrings.
- The center jewel was a white pearl, large and round.
- He could see the potential for lobster farming and later in Australia would experiment with the aquaculture of oysters, pearls, and pearl shells.
- Next was another necklace - no, a choker - which was made of orange jewels and white pearls.
- She wore a pearl charm bracelet on her wrist and bounded down the stairs.
- It's a pair of pearl and diamond earrings and an 18 carat gold bangle.
- It's all about defending the shiny bejeweled palace on the hill and guarding the precious pearls and birthstones hidden within.
- He pulled out magnificent earrings with glistening pearls and emeralds dripping from them and then a glass cup with painted mermaids on it.
- Within it, there are gems, rubies, pearls and flawless diamonds.
- The hem was trimmed with white beads, and pearls and rubies framed the neck.
- I always called the white flowers diamonds or pearls.
- In fact, the only piece of jewelry that she wore was a pearl necklace, matching pearl earrings, and a gold wedding ring encasing a ruby.
- Dawson brought from his jacket pocket the ring that Edric had spent months saving for, white gold with a pearl in the center that would match her wedding dress splendidly.
- She even had on a pearl necklace and earrings to match.
1.2mother-of-pearlnácar masculinomadreperla femeninoconcha nácar femenino Méxicoconcha de perla femenino Chile(brooch/buttons) de nácar(brooch/buttons) de madreperla(brooch/buttons) de concha nácar México(buttons/brooch) de concha de perla Chile(lipstick/nail varnish) nacarado(lipstick/nail varnish) perlado
- There are five color options: nighthawk black pearl, opal beige, redrock pearl, satin silver metallic and silverstone metallic.
- Its hues were of white, pearl, and alabaster, and it shone with pristine care and impeccable architecture.
- Call it what you will - lily white, creamy white, porcelain or pearl - I am still ghostly pale.
- Fashion critics adore her dresses in hand-dyed shades of pearl, frost, teal, grey and chocolate, worn over silk slip dresses.
- Variations of green, pale and gentle, or a shimmer of apricot or pearl can perfectly set a great reading mood for pages with heavy content.
1.3(thing of value, beauty)joya femeninoHawaii, pearl of the Pacific — Hawai, la perla del Pacífico
- Those who attended his classes at the University of California in the mid-1960s were lucky enough to pick up a few pearls of wisdom, and we do have some revealing interviews and articles.
- But wait: in an act of ablution worthy of the papacy, the writer throws us this pearl.
- He can't resist imparting his pearls of wisdom.
- Still, there were pearls of wisdom buried amid the dogma.
- But with his well-documented habit of pausing for 30 seconds or so while considering the question, you do begin to wonder if he revels in cultivating an air of expectancy for his pearls of wisdom.
- Keri's pearls of wisdom are always a welcome delight.
- And to be honest, after 4 years of publishing my pearls of wisdom on a near-daily basis, I still don't really know.
- School children tag along beside us, as we examine architectural jewels, eager to soak up our guide's pearls of wisdom.
- On a training workshop last year I picked up one of those little pearls of wisdom that stay with you for years.
- They are little pearls of wisdom - often handed down to us from our parents and grandparents.
- But I turn them down, knowing that I must reserve my pearls of wisdom for you - my appreciative readers.
- What philosophical pearl did he leave for history?
- He is acknowledged as a man who is selfless in giving advice to those who are eager to listen to his pearls of wisdom on racing and breeding.
- The pearls of wisdom may, however, be lost at times in the factual information, and a few more diagrams would have helped.
- Berrie insists she has too much still to learn herself, without presuming to pass on pearls of wisdom to others.
- What pearls of wisdom can I impart as a result of yet another year's experience?
- It is one of those scientific pearls of wisdom that tend to be quoted after several pints - a duck's quack does not produce an echo, and no-one knows why.
- I had hoped to receive pearls of wisdom on how to distinguish between ‘benign’ and serious headaches; what I learnt was that basically you can't.
- The history of cinema is littered with priceless pearls of wisdom delivered by eccentric movie producers.
- The looks that I get in return for my pearls of wisdom are invariably of the blank variety.
verbo transitivo y intransitivo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.