In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pedal masculinobrake/accelerator pedal — pedal del freno/acelerador
- sustaining pedal — pedal derecho / fuerte / de intensidad
- When she played Satie on her own, I noticed she used the sustaining pedal sparingly.
- Some of the tonal increases, however require better use of the sustaining pedal.
- Technically, Miss Stein's economy of commas may be compared with a complete renunciation of the pedal in playing the piano.
- He could sustain long, singing legato lines without becoming dependent on the pedal.
- She also is unafraid to be generous with the pedal, yet clarity isn't sacrificed.
- The basic notes of his music are very few and usually surrounded by a haze of the overtones created by the damper pedal of the piano.
- I took this opportunity, not only to answer her question and remind her of the proper name for the damper pedal, but also to explore the piano and how it worked.
- Frequently the pedal of the piano is held down for many minutes.
- Bobby battled through a concert even though gout prevented him from working the piano's pedals.
- We may not reach sight reading at all during his lesson because he needs so much help using the damper pedal correctly during one of his repertoire pieces.
- During performance, most students will need to stand while depressing the damper pedal to access the interior of the piano.
- In this period the piano was beginning to replace the harpsichord and clavichord in popularity, and allowed for new experimental sonorities and the use of the sustaining pedal.
- Today I asked your child to depress the right pedal, to stop the action of the dampers so that the strings could vibrate freely.
- Part of Gould's achievement is that his refusal to use the sustaining pedal puts the guts back into Bach.
- Arrange your feet on the soft and sustaining pedals in readiness to carry out instructions - always clearly marked in the score.
- The pedal plays a large role in creating a musical perception of legato, and for small-handed pianists, it is indispensable.
- The recordings capture the sound of his fingers on the keys, the depression of the pedals, and the click of the microphone as it turns off.
- The big sounds of Brahms go out in smudges, the pedals drowning them in an effort to be loud and large.
- I took the speaker and sat it on the sustain pedal of a grand piano so the strings were all open.
- He uses rubato more liberally, and also the sustaining pedal.
- The man just nodded, climbed on his bicycle and pedaled away.
- As I pedaled along, slowly to enjoy the morning, I noticed a park bench whose legs were submerged in the dark lake waters.
- When the girls came pedalling along in the Bordeaux race - all legs and flowing hair - they were a sensation.
- I straddled my bicycle and pedaled off to Emily's farm.
- The six-day bike trip saw Chris pedalling 120 miles-per-day.
- You can see cyclists pedalling along, chatting away happily.
- In the last few weeks, two groups of long-distance bicycle trekkers have pedaled through town, and another is making plans to depart soon.
- I took a last slug of the water in my bottle, hopped back on the bike, and pedalled merrily home.
- Not really accustomed to winter biking, I gingerly pedalled down an alley on the packed snow, and unexpectedly gathered speed.
- That afternoon, as we pedalled around the blue lake (so called for the clarity of its waters), Leonard voiced some concern about the wedding.
- I doggedly pedaled along but I was so not enjoying this little excursion.
- As we pedalled along we talked about anything and everything.
- He pedals to the barbershop, to his doctor appointments, to visit his friends and go out to lunch.
- She was pedalling straight into a heavy wind, and it was tough going.
- She was back on her bicycle pedaling all around town.
- Two girls on bikes with baskets pedalled along the towpath.
- On a borrowed a bicycle, he pedals over hills and along dirt roads, encountering impenetrable characters and glimpses of his own nature.
- The girl told the inquest: ‘Sam turned his bike round and started pedalling off.’
- On what was the hottest day of our trip we pedalled along quite happily.
- One of the reasons I like cycling is that you can get into long reveries while pedalling along.
1(bicycle) darle a los pedales de
- Chelsea pedaled her bike past Danny's house for the seventh time, and tried not to make it obvious that she was looking for him.
- There were also the lovely old bikes, penny farthings and boneshakers being pedalled around.
- Between piano lessons and shooting hoops, the boy pedaled his bike to the friend's house over several evenings to work on the site's content.
- Because a rider has very little mechanical advantage if the bike is in 15th gear, the bike would be very hard to pedal, and it would take a while to get up to speed.
- They allow those adults to pedal the trike around in the water.
- John, the guy from Brooklyn who pedals his bike over every weekend, would teach my gangly boy how to assert himself under the boards.
- By age 3, children delight in chasing and being chased, using playground equipment, pedaling a small tricycle, and trying new forms of locomotion such as galloping and trotting.
- Anyway I was pedaling my bike down the street last weekend after softball practice, and a bug flew into my mouth.
- One man stares at it dangerously while pedalling his bicycle along the road.
- Begin moving your legs in a circular motion, as if pedaling a bicycle.
- I'm now 26 years old yet I can still clearly hear the jokes of my brother, while he pedaled his bike towards our neighborhood
- On Monday as I drove along the Esplanade, I noticed a blond girl following behind a two or three year old toddler pedalling a bike along the path.
- It is very difficult to pedal a bicycle in long skirts and petticoats.
- Earl stayed through college, pedaling his bike several miles to and from K-State and earning a degree in sociology and psychology.
- I would pedal my bike up back roads to visit them, and they would teach me radio.
- Many of the emails we received chronicled scandalous miscarriages of justice such as the chap clocked at 83 mph while pedalling a bicycle down the A12.
- Crammed into sweltering buses and sleek subway cars, pedaling their rusty bikes, they swarm to work.
- Warm and sunny, and I can still feel the radiating heat of the sun working on the muscles of my back as I pedalled my bicycle through the park, across the road from my house.
- But we are also abandoning red meat, drinking bottled water, double-locking our doors at night and sending our kids out with a crash helmet when they're pedalling the trike around the lawn.
- One delight, as long as it is not too early in the morning, is that everybody, from chambermaids to handymen, make their way around the property pedalling a bicycle and singing sweetly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.