In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The questioner is shouted down, accused of being a grammatical pedant.
- The intrusive comma changes the sense, and gives the dedicated pedant a linguistic heart attack.
- Muriel Gray may be wrong-headed at times and her sentence structure may offend grammatical pedants but at least she is thought - provoking and often entertaining.
- I'm usually one of those ‘language is a living thing’ guys in these matters, laughing at the grammar pedants and vocabulary fascists.
- I like that sentence and I don't care what grammatical pedants think.
- If we're going to play the grammatical pedant, then let's be careful to get it right.
- Some pedants do let their love for rules get in the way of free-flowing language.
- For too long, we linguistic pedants have cringed, watching this phrase used, misused, and abused, again, and again, and again.
- No one makes fun of them for talking about adding mice to the cache, because only scholars and pedants remember the word's source.
- Suddenly, the grammar pedants were springing out of the woodwork from every direction and, whether we liked it or not, we were all being given lessons in how we should use our English.
- They could easily go to sleep to the murmuring oohs and aahs of connoisseurs and pedants.
- Donoghue's a true historian, whose period detail is exacting enough to please the most pedantic of pedants, while her style displays an intimacy with the past that's both unpretentious and modern.
- Publishing on-line without proofreading is probably not the greatest of sins, but for a grammar pedant such as I, it's pretty transgressive nonetheless.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.