In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1peatón masculinopeatona femeninobefore noun pedestrian area — zona peatonal femenino
- pedestrian mall / (British) precinct — zona peatonal
- pedestrian zone — zona peatonal
- Windmill Street will be closed and no pedestrians or vehicles will be allowed access.
- Both have footpaths which have been widened over recent years to accommodate pedestrians.
- Vehicles and pedestrians can still use Bank Street but it is taking away some of the parking space.
- If the police do take action on this, pedestrians will benefit as much as cyclists.
- Chiswick residents claim the crossing is dangerous for drivers and pedestrians.
- Well done to all concerned for ensuring that no harm came to road users and pedestrians alike.
- Many pedestrians end up having to push past the waiting passengers to get through.
- Many pedestrians have learnt not to rely on the pedestrian phase even if there is one.
- Now pedestrians hurry past each week as they walk along one of the shortest streets in York.
- Some pedestrians walked past for a second time, and like the woman they gave you wary looks.
- She said they had complained that cars and other vehicles ignore it and fail to stop for pedestrians.
- The new crossing would improve conditions both for pedestrians and vehicles.
- He was far too large for the traffic and pedestrians to avoid, but both consciously tried to do so.
- This reduces visibility for motorists and pedestrians and is very dangerous.
- No lights, just a steady stream of pedestrians walking over the road and holding up the traffic.
- He did note that the biggest danger was to pedestrians crossing the swing bridge across the canal.
- We would like to see pedestrians given priority over vehicles on all park roads.
- Residents claimed the lights made it much more dangerous for pedestrians to cross.
- Footpaths provide a safe environment for pedestrians and should be respected by all.
- He has also called on motorists to be more conscious of pedestrians and cyclists.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.