- Modelled on St. Peter's basilica in Rome, its façade is defined by Corinthian pilasters and a pediment, with a great central dome towering over them.
- The city was gloriously clean, its classical columns and pediments and its baroque scrolls and volutes now clearly delineated by the shadows cast by an oblique sun on their pale surfaces.
- They followed the classic model of Greek temples, with their rectangular rows of columns, topped by beams and relieved by a triangular pediment.
- A massive pediment with entablature is supported by four Roman Doric columns on granite bases.
- The entablature and pediment of the portico are supported by two pairs of massive Ionic columns.