In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nombrePlural penumbrae, Plural penumbras
- The penumbra of his face, and the emanations of light leaking from behind his ears, and his hair, was blinding.
- The black penumbra which appears when you first look to its edges soon becomes brown.
- The Moon begins to enter the Earth's outer shadow, or penumbra, at 9: 06 P.M.
- He is pacing up and down the library in the gloom, ‘the penumbra of the library’, as he put it, and he thinks of a tiger in the jungle, and this is ‘The Other Tiger’.
- Our planet's shadow has two parts, a dark inner core called the umbra and a pale outer fringe called the penumbra.
- Shadows and penumbras were instantaneously formed from the myriad of trees and hills that he surveyed through the window, and just as quickly vanished.
- He stands within the penumbra of the falls, near the top of Irish Mountain.
- Long, thin filaments radiate from the umbra into a brighter surrounding region called the penumbra.
- And we would do well to remember that the penumbra is the lighter, outer region of the shadow, the halo, indeed, of the shadow.
- He brings a sharp eye to the bedside of a poet friend and to urban decay, ‘the dust of voices, / the smoky penumbra around streetlights.’
- In other cases the Moon does not pass through the umbra at all, just going through the penumbra (a region of partial shadow).
- Neon glow qualifies the relation of work to wall; each piece generates its own set of shadow and penumbra.
- A penumbra of fiery purple encircles this near-seamless construction of photographs, objects and painted images on wood.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.