In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Christian could not be tolerant or detached for the Christian could not remain indifferent to something which inevitably meant the loss of his soul and perdition for others.
- I withdraw it from the dark thoughts and from the spirit of perdition and I give it to God.
- But salvation and perdition always hang in the balance.
- It is obvious that the motives of the Holy See and its agents were laudable; they wanted to save the souls of the millions under their care from everlasting perdition.
- My daddy thought acting was the road to perdition.
- But they had all seemed pretty much condemned to perdition anyway.
- I took it for granted in my article that God may sometimes give special graces to dying persons to rescue them from the jaws of perdition.
- He despises the ignorant and the sinner as doomed to perdition, nay, he considers them as the enemies of God, and as such to be persecuted.
- Their aim is to persuade his hearers to pursue the better and safer path by alerting them to the danger of eternal perdition.
- Removing the will from God does not, therefore, deny human freedom; one remains free either to wander into perdition, or, through grace, to return where one belongs, in God.
- But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
- At bottom - and yes, the bottom is a long way down - he and my father may not have thought about God and perdition in such different terms.
- Hence, if the children suffer eternal perdition because their parents, who are themselves Christians, do not teach them how to attain salvation, God will judge and punish the parents.
- This breeze reeked of the incense cast upon the brazier of such sulfurous content to seem as though spewed from the bowels of perdition.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.