In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For objects orbiting Earth, periapsis and apoapsis are known as perigee and apogee; for objects orbiting the Sun, these locations are known as perihelion and aphelion.
- This affects the climate because the influx of solar energy to our planet would then vary between perihelion and aphelion by a larger proportion than at present.
- The radius vector is shortest when the planet is at perihelion and longest at aphelion.
- The problem involved the advance of the perihelion of the planet Mercury.
- He calculated to within a month the return in 1759 of Halley's comet to its perihelion (closest point to the Sun).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.