In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Quebecers just don't want to swap their groovy ways to perpetuate the species.
- The effigies of antiquity were created to perpetuate the memory of the deceased as he or she looked while alive.
- The Mohegans are also invested in preserving and perpetuating their culture.
- Their memory was perpetuated in later centuries by antiquarians such as Joseph Strutt, whose Sports and Pastimes of England was published in 1801.
- It's not just because a certain pool of skilled practitioners must be sustained to perpetuate our craft.
- In spite of near-constant challenges to their survival, tortoises must nonetheless attend to the task of perpetuating the species.
- Very few recognise the services of such freedom fighters or make efforts to perpetuate their memory.
- My question for Rosanne is what should we be doing to remember him, to perpetuate his memory?
- Building a theatre is not the easiest way of perpetuating your father's memory.
- It fittingly perpetuates his memory as one who lived an unassuming honourable life and bequeathed the whole of his residuary estate to charity.
- The point in perpetuating a person's memory is that he or she might otherwise be forgotten.
- It was on this sleepy island that the Dutch settled in 1609 and built a fort to perpetuate their memory.
- You are the last woman on earth, and it is your job to perpetuate the human race, whether you like it or not.
- Some of those monuments are almost a century old and were erected to perpetuate a memory and a spirit dear to surviving family members.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.