- Clearance of apoptotic cells by phagocytes is crucial in maintaining tissue homeostasis.
- Histologic studies have shown polymetric birefringent particles surrounded by mononuclear phagocytes and multinucleated foreign body giant cells.
- Fc receptors mediate various effects on immune cells, including proliferation of B cells and phagocytosis by phagocytes.
- Endothelial cells and mononuclear phagocytes are likely cellular mediators of lung IRI.
- Following IVIG therapy in patients with ITP, platelet counts generally rise, apparently by Fc receptor blockade of splenic phagocytes and other reticuloendothelial cells.