- But there are many instances where the address carries no more specific a meaning than is conveyed by ‘lovely days, isn't it ’, what the linguists call phatic utterances.
- The patterns of exchange characteristic of chats are phatic, and their primary purpose is to get and maintain a social link.
- Roman Jakobson defines the phatic as a ‘contact function’ in language, ‘serving primarily to establish, to prolong, or to discontinue communication’ between speaker and interlocutor.
- It is easy to imagine that characters frequently urge each other to ‘come’ do this or that or simply ‘come,’ where these phatic or merely gestural uses are much rarer in poetry.
- I made a phatic utterance that sounded something like ‘uhmmhmm.’