In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Like me he understood that the people around him were fakes and phoneys and pretty soon I realised he hated school as much as I did.
- What a miserable bunch of phoneys they are, both the traitors and their spin doctors.
- I never feel comfortable at an upscale restaurant, where I often feel like a phony trying to fake clever conversation, social appropriateness, and political correctness.
- I'm a fake, a phony, a fraud, an impostor, and a charlatan of the worse degree.
- From the photograph down, everything was a fraud and a phoney.
- To be blunt about it, by any normal standard most of these guys are liars and phonies.
- But other merchants recognized the bills as phonies right away.
- What they hate is being patronised by phonies.
- She was very acute at spotting the fake and the phony.
- But this argument is largely a phony because the filibuster rules have been changed by the Democrats in the past.
- It's true to say that there always have been and always will be phonies and charlatans claiming psychic powers either for profit or for notoriety.
- But any moment the spell might fail, their eyes would be opened and they would realise I was a fraud, a phoney.
- So, you may be saying, these ‘rule-breakers,’ with their aura of rebellion, are nothing but phonies!
- Veterans call them by all sorts of names: phonies, fakes, imposters, wannabes.
- Here we deal with frauds and phonies, money grabbers and odd-balls.
- Salinger has given voice to what every adolescent or at least what every middle class adolescent thinks but is too inhibited to say, which is that success is a sham and that successful people are mostly phonies.
- That's the conundrum of the modern skeptics movement: Intelligent Design theorists and deniers of global warming may very well be phonies and scoundrels, but no one is going to debunk them in the classic sense.
- People who have true family values live by them, while deviant phonies incessantly talk about them.
- At the conclusion of each episode, the one phony is revealed.
- Why are you playing the edges; why bother to debunk, why spend your time exposing people that are outright frauds, phonies, or who are merely self deluded?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.