In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A sprint to the line ended in a photo finish between Great Britain, Germany and Cuba.
- We had a four-way photo finish in the third race, which is very unusual.
- USA attacked back and in a photo finish Austria crossed the line a mere eleven hundredth of a second ahead of the Americans.
- Stephen Byrne was the only rider who got close to Dolan over the line and indeed a photo finish was needed to separate the two.
- One race demanded a photo finish, though the dismounting event's organizer Myles just said, ‘He got it,’ when asked what happened.
- One of the highlights of the weekend for Flynn came in the 3,000m race, where a spectacular photo finish between Maria McCambridge and Karen Reid thrilled the sizeable crowd.
- Day four of racing had opened with a photo finish and as only four spots were available to move onto the final, results were critical.
- His best season was 1959, when he beat Johnny Beauchamp at Daytona in a photo finish; the winner wasn't decided for three days.
- They won the games in a photo finish, pulling ahead of the previous year's winners with a gutsy last-ditch surge.
- Diatribe, winner of the Caulfield Cup last week, was second in a photo finish with Referral, a nose back in third.
- In my last stint, we got six seconds ahead, but then we slowed for a photo finish with the sister car.
- Following the photo finish, there was an anxious wait before the scoreboard flashed up confirmation of Britain's dramatic win.
- In the end, the photo finish revealed a dead-heat between big Thomas and his teammate Estil.
- I knew I had made a mistake but was hoping against hope as I waited for the official photo finish.
- A photo finish at the line gave Russia the upper hand followed by Poland and Germany's number three crew.
- Why they'll finish second: They just don't have enough strength in the trenches to overtake the Eagles, although no one would be surprised if the two-horse race ended in a photo finish.
- But the pack closed in and in a photo finish Smirk, priced at 12-1, beat fast-finishing Atlantic Ace by a head.
- It was the tightest photo finish I have ever seen.
- It was really good fun and to come down to a photo finish is amazing.
- However, after close scrutiny of the photo finish, the race was awarded to the American.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.