In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1also pickup truckcamioneta de reparto femeninofurgoneta de reparto femeninocamioneta femeninofurgoneta femenino
- He parked the pickup on the side of the street, and got out.
- While there were four-wheel-drive vehicles that predated the military Jeep, they were mostly highly specialized trucks and pickups.
- It dominated the enormously profitable market for pickups and sport-utility vehicles.
- A lot of momentum is going into crossover vehicles and four-door pickups.
- The calf was then lowered over the side of the pickup to the ground.
- The lane is subjected to daily traffic from automobiles, loaded pickups, dump trucks, and tractor-trailer trucks.
- The popularity of pickups as pleasure vehicles has led to the development of luxurious features and accessories, fueling sales growth.
- In photographs from the early twentieth century, field crews cluster around buckboard wagons or Model T Fords, replaced in more recent photos by weathered pickups and four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- Commercial automobile insurance covers owned, leased, non-owned, and hired automobiles, such as vans, pickups, and buses used at your facility.
- It had a neat yellow paint job and a black satellite dish bolted to its roof, and the driveway was packed with three late-model vehicles - two extended-cab pickups and a 30-foot motor home.
- Meanwhile, sales of high-polluting sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and vans boom.
- Nearby, police found a pickup truck on its side with 17 rocket launchers and a crude firing mechanism inside.
- On the other hand, pickups and SUVs have become more capable as tow vehicles over the years.
- They may be work trucks, but pickups needn't be laborious to drive, the No.2 auto maker maintains.
- Some of these accessories are acquired to prevent damage to the bed or sides of a pickup.
- Although the park is claimed to be off-limits to motorized vehicles, several city-owned trucks and pickups were seen driving around.
- Camels contended in the narrow streets with armored vehicles, pickups with oversized wheels, and late-model luxury cars.
- There you'll most likely see examples from two very competitive North American segments - midsize cars and compact pickups.
- These days, about half of those vehicles are SUVs, pickups and mini-vans.
- I leaned against the door on the passenger side of the pickup, as far away from him as I could get.
2(by taxi, bus, truck)I've got two pickups to make — tengo que pasar a recoger dos paquetes (or a dos personas etc.)
- before noun pickup point — lugar de recogida
- Unionized truckers have also refused to cross to make deliveries or pickups.
- That is, he can schedule, by the hour, equipment delivery and pickups at a project that best fits construction schedules.
- Carpets cleaned and rolled and pre-positioned for easy pickup stood beside stacks and mounds of linens and bedding and pillows and a host of other household goods.
- We inflated our AIRSAVE flotation vests, jumped in the balmy 64-degree water and awaited pickup.
- It's best to take outgoing mail to the post office, especially if it contains checks or important documents, rather than leaving it outside your front door for pickup.
- When they signaled for pickup, the crew chief talked the pilot down to a 30-foot hover and started hoisting.
- The object is to go around collecting pickups within increasingly difficult time limits.
- I realized today that if I lived in a house instead of a condo and had weekly trash and recycling pickups to worry about, I probably wouldn't let the newspapers and plastic bottles pile up in bags for weeks without taking them downstairs.
- We decided that in the future, when a truck returned from a pickup, we would put all the boxes in a temporary holding area marked by a cone.
- It was leading edge in Canada and it included a team of flying doctors who traveled with the aircraft, making pickups throughout the province, bringing the patients to the tertiary care centers in Winnipeg.
- Most dealers offer delivery and pickup of large equipment and, except for very large equipment, do not require an operator's license.
- Their driver then moves to the terminal for pickup.
- The Park Service provided all ground transportation, including pickup from the Airport, 30 miles away.
- Never leave mail for pickup at home or at the office; take your outgoing correspondence directly to the post office or drop it in a USPS mailbox.
- Customers will purchase the mailers from frame shops and use them to ship damaged photos or certificates via the shipping company's drop box or home pickup.
- Nevertheless, he disconnected, swam to the survivor, checked him for injuries, and signaled for pickup.
- Back then, messenger companies would lump all the pickups and deliveries together on one invoice.
- When the bags are full, or sooner if it takes a long time to fill one, they should be securely closed and stored for pickup by the hazardous waste disposal company.
- You're assuming I'm in favor of municipal trash pickup.
- According to Judy's story, the trash pickup netted 90-100 bags of trash.
(recovery)repunte masculinomejora femenino
- In the bad old days of the inflation-wracked 1970s and 1980s, any pickup in prices was something to be feared.
- Moreover, they are not overly worried about a pickup in inflation, even if the recovery arrives earlier and turns out to be stronger than they expect.
- A pickup in the economy, a rise in interest rates to improve fixed income returns, and a recovery in the stock market should make everything better.
- With inventories so low, the coming pickup in demand will have to be met with a rise in production.
- Business is flat and no customers have said they see a pickup in business anytime soon.
- Shareholders say they've heard that before, and they're looking for help in figuring out when the shares will rise ahead of a pickup in sales.
- Likewise, a pickup in retail sales is likely to trigger hiring at store chains, where 19,000 jobs were lost in the third-quarter.
- But many analysts are concerned that growth could fade without a pickup in hiring.
- The October producer and consumer price indexes suggest at least a small dollar-related pickup in inflation outside of energy and food.
- After all, consumers can't possibly keep leading this recovery without a pickup in job growth, can they?
- She said this pointed to a pickup in the permanent IT recruitment market next year.
- Still, the lack of a pickup in buying has eroded profits and forced the computer makers to eliminate thousands of jobs this year.
- There could also be a pickup in credit off-take in the second half of the fiscal, which should improve the bank's core earnings.
- Fed officials in recent speeches have said they don't expect a pickup in the economy before next year.
- Despite a pickup in the retail and real-estate sectors, confidence in the economy remains stubbornly elusive.
- Shipping firms also benefited from a pickup in demand.
- If long-term rates rise with a pickup in the economy and increasing demand for capital, the bonds will lose value.
- It is true that there has been a pickup in some of the indicators of capital goods spending.
- State higher-education construction, as well as other categories, will benefit from a pickup in state general-fund revenues.
- More broadly, our results show no clear or necessary relationship between a pickup in jobs lost to trade and weakness in the U.S. labor market.
4.1US Audio Música
(cartridge)cápsula femeninopastilla femenino
- That noise is only apparent when you play 78s on an electrical pickup, which amplifies the scratch along with the music.
- The pickup uses a nude elliptical diamond stylus.
- The pickup is where it all starts, and can be a difficult purchase, especially when you realise that the things have, relatively speaking, a limited lifespan compared with the other components in a system.
- The net result is that whenever the stylus is in the groove of rotating record the pickup is subjected to an additional inward force.
- Use a good quality turntable to play the LP. The pickup cartridge should be properly aligned and the stylus should be in good condition and clean.
4.2also pickup armBritish Audio Músicapick-up masculinobrazo (del tocadiscos) masculinofonocaptor masculino formal
(on musical instrument)pastilla femenino
- Recording a five-string Fender bass with active pickups, I switched the impedance to 47k.
- The quarter inch plug which runs from the amplifier to the guitar is electrically wired to the pickups.
- We began to find new pickups and microphone systems for the cellos that allowed us to be loud without feedback.
- So, the noise of the toy gets amplified by your guitar pickup?
- The guitarist wanted to track the sound of the guitar's piezo bridge pickup and the acoustic sound simultaneously.
5argot(sexual)ligue masculino coloquiallevante masculino América del Sur coloquialbefore noun pickup joint — bar de ligue masculino coloquial
- He liked betting with friends in regards of who of them came up with the best pickup line, or about who of them gathered more telephone numbers in one night out.
- Date rapes have occurred at every stage of involvement, ranging from a pickup in a bar to a first date to a steady relationship.
- Spike and Bob have challenged listeners to call in and give Lauren their best pickup lines.
- There's no doubt exactly what's on Mitchum's mind, whether he's eyeing up a pickup in a bar or breaking an egg in his fist and smearing the yolk over the mother's shoulders and neck.
- It seems that she should use a better strategy for finding a husband than some pickup in a bar.
- Tired of the cheesy pickup lines you hear while hitting the bar circuit?
- What's the worst pickup line you've ever heard?
- How do I explain to my children that Dad was nothing more than a pickup in a bar?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.