In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Therefore the soul falls below its own level and disintegrates, like the prodigal son reduced to feeding on pigswill.
- Too weak to work, Tim reads while a resentful Chris shovels manure and pigswill for both of them.
- The Browns took me on a tour of their premises, including the boilers where the pigswill they fed their pigs was brewed.
- As widely expected, he announced plans to consult on banning the feeding of pigswill to pigs after continuing speculation that the practice was ‘a cause or the cause of the outbreak’.
- The meat was served in restaurants with no adverse effect on humans but the contaminated leftovers were sold to local farmers as pigswill.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.