In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The long-nosed garpike is common everywhere in shallow water.
- The department may designate certain waters in which a rubber or spring propelled spear may be used for the taking of carp, dogfish, garpike, and suckers.
- Being the main apex predator found in freshwaters, pike are not as common as other fish.
- There are herring and cod in the outer archipelago, but within casting range of land the fish are mostly fresh-water - perch, bream, pike, and zander.
- It can save you lots of time reeling in grass pike, and a pocket full of money on lost baits, if you invest in a couple weed less baits for your tackle box.
- Paul contacted the Environment Agency and Yorkshire Water, which are now investigating the cause of the deaths of a number of fish including pike, eels and roach.
- The main courses are dominated by marine and freshwater fish, including the ubiquitous pike; or else game - rabbit, pheasant and duck.
- After debating the merits of fishing for grayling or the pike, we chose to fly fish for the pike.
- Dixira stopped abruptly, his nose inches from the wooden shafts of the pikes.
- Bronze and iron weapons were initially obtained from the continent, but soon the Japanese were making their own weapons such as swords, pikes, and spears.
- They use pikes and heavy cutlasses in a practical, serious manner.
- Vast quantities of clothing, gunpowder, pikes, halberds, swords, and muskets poured out of the workshops of the metropolis.
- The invention and proliferation of the ring bayonet in the 1690s led to the disappearance of the pike as a standard infantry weapon.
- Maryland's Baltimore to Cumberland section of the Historic National Road was designated the Historic National Pike.
- The National Road becomes known as the National Pike, as some of the states erect toll houses to collect fees from those using the Pike.
- Towns and cities along the pike began to spring up to provide comforts for weary travelers heading west. Modern travelers of the Historic National Pike will find communities proud of their vibrant heritage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.