In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(grande) sardina femenino
- The main species harvested are hake, horse mackerel and pilchard, whilst other species such as monk, anchovy, tuna and sole also contribute to this sector.
- The Gauteng health department has recalled a batch of botulism-tainted pilchards for laboratory testing after an incident in which two East Rand children were poisoned last week.
- The omega - 3 oil found in oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, fresh tuna, sardines, herring, kippers, pilchards, trout and anchovies are known to have a protective effect on the heart.
- He pointed out that 100 tonnes of diesel is now being released in a relatively shallow area which is also a major spawning area for pilchards.
- Salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, pilchards and fresh tuna are the best source of Omega 3 which is rich in Eicosapentaenoic acid.
- The coastal dwellers also catch pilchard and white fish.
- Herring and other clupeids such as pilchards and sardines have a sophisticated auditory system.
- Lastly, horse mackerel's acidity level is higher than pilchard causing a corrosive action when the fish is canned.
- South Africa this week granted Namibia limited access to anchovy and pilchard.
- The officials claimed that the seals prefer pilchard, small hake and horse mackerel.
- Oily fish such as herring, kippers, mackerel, pilchards, salmon, sardines and trout, contain oils that can lessen the risk of thrombosis.
- The fish stalls sell pilchards, mackerel and squid, which are the best baits for general ledger fishing, taking most species including conger and moray eels.
- The South African sardine, also known as the pilchard, is usually found in huge shoals in the upper layers of the ocean.
- After migrating to the ocean, the maturing adults feed on large zooplakton, herring, pilchard, sandlance and other fishes, squid, and crustaceans.
- When you buy sardines from France, Portugal or Spain, you're really getting pilchards, a smaller and fatter variety of herring.
- I had my big beach rod, and was fishing with pilchards, casting out as far as I could.
- Both white fish (such as haddock, plaice, halibut and sole) and oily fish (such as sardines, salmon, trout, pilchards and mackerel) are valuable sources of protein, vitamins and minerals.
- A career in writing is not all about living on baked beans and pilchards.
- I have witnessed with my own eyes a colleague eating a pot noodle mixed with pilchards straight out of the tin.
- He noted that fresh pilchards are simply grilled, with pepper and salt, which is still the best way of cooking sardines, the junior version of pilchards.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.