In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nombrePlural pinkos, Plural pinkoes
1comunistoide femenino despectivorojillo masculino coloquialrojilla femenino coloquial
- The Western media are never targeted because they are lefty pinkos who do the terrorists' job for them.
- The leftie pinkos were on hand to try and spoil the party.
- They definitely are a bunch of pinkos on these sorts of issues.
- And despite of what you pinkos thought, I thought he was a great president!
- Consumer advocate groups - and other left-wing commie pinkos - are encouraging Americans to stay away from the malls and liquor stores.
- Lately, the liberals and pinkos among them love us for telling it like we saw it in Gujarat.
- The commies and pinkos are raising a hue and cry over this matter.
- Only pinkoes and liberals, they said, would slap down $9 to see a documentary film.
- The scourge of McCarthyism made everyone a believer for fear of being labeled a commie pinko.
- Now, come on - even all you pinkos have to admit that this is quite witty.
- I bet they were pinkos - or at least liberals.
- He considers it self-evident: ‘Don't be such a leftist commie pinko!’
- To increase taxes now would be to raise the white flag and surrender to the poverty lobby and the liberal lefties and pinkos in the media.
- He loves baiting his opponents - remember his comments about ‘left-wing pinkoes’ - but has never been afraid to stand up for his own political beliefs.
- I was one of the brave men and younger men who was in the trenches of Grenada, sucking up mustard gas grenades that the lazy pinkos were tossing at us for 58 days straight.
- The film captures a sense of paranoia in America's newsrooms as McCarthy goes after anyone in politics, the military, entertainment or media who has even the remotest link with commies or inkling of being a pinko.
- His famous dismissal of ‘left-wing pinkoes’ was at the same time a declaration of where Smith himself stood.
- Fifty years ago, anyone who didn't conform to the prevailing right-wing agenda was labelled ‘commie, pinko, subversive.’
- In days gone by, marching against war was generally seen as something that lefties, peaceniks and pinkos did.
- The red hunt was misguided because the equation that came to define the McCarthy era (to be a liberal is to be a pinko is to be a red is to be a spy) was misguided.
1comunistoide despectivorojillo coloquial
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.