In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pistola femeninorevólver masculinoto hold a pistol to sb's head — ponerle un revólver en el pecho a algn Cono Sur
- He quickly opened the door to his apartment and ran into it with his .45 caliber pistol in hand.
- Taking direct fire, and outnumbered, he pressed forward, firing his M9 pistol at enemy forces.
- He was then apparently detained by palace staff but drew a 9mm pistol and shot himself in the head.
- There's nowhere to run… but there's a .40 caliber pistol in your hand.
- She aimed the loaded pistol at the officer who looked up with a startled expression.
- Caine drew his pistol from its holster and leveled its muzzle at the approaching Carey.
- In his hand he carried a pistol which was pointed at Carter.
- Miss Dando's killer used a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.
- In addition, most Rangers had one or more single-shot flintlock pistols of varied design and manufacture.
- A figure in the shadows behind a dumpster aimed a Swiss automatic pistol.
- Each man had a pistol on his right hip and a shotgun of his back.
- Jay stood back up and pulled out his small emergency laser pistol.
- My grandmother carried a loaded pistol in her purse.
- Only that and the dull metallic sheen of the flintlock pistol clutched firmly in his hand.
- The business man agreed as he pulled out a laser pistol from his back holster.
- Aruna pulled out a small pistol from a shoulder holster.
- Historically, the Walther PP was the first commercially successful double-action semiautomatic pistol.
- The glint of the silenced pistol was seen as Timothy drew out the weapon.
- Williams was carrying a loaded air pistol in his pocket.
- Each vehicle should be assigned an M9 pistol.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.