In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As his target was approached, the left engine conked out again with the piston rod crashing through the block.
- ‘Iry, the damned piston rod seized on the crankshaft,’ she said, her voice rising.
- When a cylinder fires, the piston rod is at an angle and can immediately turn the crankshaft via the cam at the end of the pivoting arm.
- Stainless steel piston rods and external hydraulic pipes are fitted for maximum durability.
- This overbalance is calculated as a function of the reciprocating mass of the piston, piston rod, cross-head, and front portion of the main rod.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.