In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He will vanquish them with one blow of his pith helmet!
- There is not a single pillbox cap or pith helmet to be seen anywhere in the film.
- So he proceeds to devote all his time to E's study, puts on a pair of black socks and a pith helmet, and heads for the hills.
- Nobody bothered to hide their modesty - least of all Cheggers, who wore only a pith helmet and sandals throughout.
- Our hero arrives on the scene dressed in khakis, wearing a pith helmet, and carrying an SLR camera strapped around his neck.
- Typically, he is wearing a capitula or long shorts, knee socks, and a casque colonial or pith helmet.
- Kenny's uniform was a pair of khaki shorts, a khaki shirt rolled up over the elbows, and a pith helmet.
- He had progressed, become a very important Resident Commissioner with a pith helmet.
- All that was missing to complete the picture was a white pith helmet and an ostrich feather.
- I sat beside my mother, only a little less fortified in a pith helmet and a starched cotton dress.
- Clinging to the roll bar with his big three-fingered gloves, he's wearing fatigues and a 10-gallon pith helmet.
- The pith helmet similarly marks the status of the Belgian.
- In another such sculpture, apparently by the same artist, the reclining policeman has his pith helmet on his stomach.
- Names were drawn out of a pith helmet to decide who would leave Isandhlwana to go on patrol on the eve of the battle.
- You know, I wanted to buy a pith helmet and a butterfly net and go in search of that elusive creature, the undecided voter.
- A dashing pith helmet is certain to earn you respect from the local natives.
- If he asks for a pith helmet with a propeller to be properly dressed for quail hunting, don't scoff.
- You can imagine all of them bushwhacking up the Eastern Seaboard from the Maryland Swamps to NYC, Frank in his pith helmet.
- I remember one guard particularly well because of his thick black moustache and a Khaki pith helmet.
- There are some surprises here, too, like a pith helmet and assorted pairs of chiefs' sandals, all covered in fine gold leaf.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.