In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1minero del carbón masculino
- At 18, David Purnell, like so many pitmen, had followed his father into the industry after 18 months working as a butcher.
- But the Wistow pitman says no amount of money can compensate for a crippling hand condition that could leave him on the unemployment scrap heap.
- Their bosses are putting on free yoga classes for all workers in a bid to make pitmen more alert and flexible.
- The sides of the pit contained open spaces where the pitman could stash small pots of oil and wedges.
- Thirty years ago, striking pitmen put the country on a three-day week and brought down the Heath government.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.