In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I made a telephone call on September 27 to report the problem again which elicited placatory words and promises of action; the light was repaired that day.
- The stereotype of battered wives as fragile, passive, placatory and docile does not do justice to their actual role in marriage relationships.
- What would once have been regarded as an acceptable gift has now become a placatory toy, so it's necessary to compete if you want the child to recognise this is a gift with special intentions.
- He's said nice, placatory things, and he's kept the peace, but we need more than that to drive the country forward.
- Well, they are putting a brave, even placatory face on it but there is no question that should its on-line services arrive in York and be of great size it will have serious consequences for conveyancing practices.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.