In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1harina común femenino
- I had to make Yorkshire puddings and I needed to measure out 4 ounces of plain flour.
- Sift the plain flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt getting as much air into the flour as possible, then pour the prepared milk and egg into the bowl of flour and whisk.
- Sift 400g plain flour and a half-tsp salt into a bowl.
- Remove from the heat, then allow to cool a little before sieving in the plain flour and adding the breadcrumbs, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add 1T plain flour to the pan juices (of which there should be about 1/4 cup), and mix well with a fork or whisk to combine.
- When you have finished beating gently, fold in 1 cup of sifted plain flour.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks, another 40g of castor sugar, cornflour, plain flour and the remaining milk together in a bowl until smooth.
- It seemed to me that ten ounces of plain flour with no baking powder added, mixed with a bare two ounces of lard but enough water to make the whole thing into a gooey, tacky mess was not guaranteed to result in appetizing mince pies.
- Add salt and pepper, about half a teaspoon of dry mustard powder, and a rounded tablespoon of plain flour.
- Then, stir in the cup of plain flour and beat until smooth.
- Self raising flour is just plain flour with some rising agents added.
- ‘For the dough we use self-raising flour, milk, eggs, salt and oil,’ explains Alfred, ‘although back in India, we'd use plain flour and add some yeast.’
- Place 4oz self-raising flour (if you've only got plain flour it will do, but self-raising gives a puffier texture) in a large bowl.
- For two hearty servings you'll need a 6oz tin of Spam, 2oz of plain flour, one small egg, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and 2 fl oz of non-fizzy beer.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks, another 40g caster sugar, the cornflour, plain flour and remaining milk together in a bowl until smooth.
- A dough using all plain flour makes good shortbread, but you can vary this by incorporating some rice flour for a crunchy texture, cornflour for a melt-in-the-mouth feel or farola (fine semolina) for a texture falling between the two.
- My pancakes are made, as my mother taught me years ago, with eight heaped tablespoons of plain flour, two large eggs, and 500 ml milk.
- Dust the scallops with plain flour and sauté in a knob of butter for about three to four minutes.
- If frying, first lightly dust the balls with a little plain flour.
- The only change is that self-raising flour is used instead of the more traditional plain flour mixed with tartaric acid and baking powder.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.