In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(raised structure)plataforma femenino(for orator) estrado masculino(for orator) tribuna femenino(for band) estrado masculino
- It is within sight of the main platform of the train station but inaccessible except by car or a long trudge down suburban streets.
- If passengers have tickets or if someone is on the platform, the train stops.
- Escalators and elevators await arriving passengers from both subway platforms at the Howard Beach station.
- They also say that loving someone, even though you know that particular someone will never love you back, is like waiting at the platform of a train station for a taxicab.
- They land on the platform of the railway station.
- Strathclyde Police spent six hours looking for the boy until he was noticed by railway staff on the platform of Macclesfield Station in Cheshire shortly before 9pm.
- Rail chiefs say the whistle is so loud it makes passengers hurry onto trains rather than dawdling along the platform - and makes trains stick to timetables.
- The grainy footage, broadcast on television, showed other passengers on the platform and on the train looking stunned.
- There is also a platform for special passenger trains that is only in use when a race is on.
- A replica of the elephant Bholu stands on the platform, welcoming the visitors into the 12-coach exhibition on wheels.
- The camera fast tracks along a London train station platform as the passengers disembark and rush toward us.
- It means that goods can be transferred on passenger platforms on the railways - perfect for low-volume rail distribution in remote areas or even city centres.
- When did you know you would create a subway platform?
- In March 1955 family members paid a penny each to venture onto the platform at York Railway Station to wave off newly-weds Gladys and Bernard Hewitt.
- A family of drunken louts have been sent to jail for train hooliganism and fighting police on the platform of York Railway Station.
- Incidents of vandalism, rowdiness and violence on trains and railway platforms have been well documented in the pages of the Keighley News.
- The Prince of Wales got a warm welcome when he stepped on to the platform at Skipton Railway Station on Monday for his fourth visit to the area in as many years.
- Workers created a railway platform and dressed up as characters from the hugely popular children's books.
- While effective separation on mainline long-distance passenger trains was long entrenched, station platforms and suburban trains in the Cape were not so tightly controlled.
- We saw one passenger running on the platform trying to get the train to stop with no luck.
1.3(on bus)plataforma femenino
- Lawrence grabbed the gun on the platform in front of him.
- There is also a very unusual raised wooden platform with the bed at its heart.
- A guard had dropped another large execution device they were carrying up the stairs to the raised wooden platform.
- A tall hooded figure, standing on the platform, raised a rose standard high above his head.
- Workers wear special harnesses and stand on carefully constructed platforms, supported by a scaffolding system that is almost as complex and labyrinthine as the bridge itself.
- A group of Tafe students have got their hands dirty, building a viewing platform that overlooks Sunset Beach.
- Dustin decided to run; Poe was still hoisting Gin up onto the rock platform he stood on, and couldn't help him.
- Standing on another lofty viewing platform, visitors could experience the exhibition itself in a similar way.
- To the north of the block, a tower rises to provide a viewing platform that overlooks the whole site.
- The plans are believed to include provisions for a public viewing platform at the top of the structure.
- You stand on the viewing platform and squint, trying to work out who the guy with the moustache and glasses is.
- A clumsy addition will detract from its appearance, but a modern glass extension at ground level or a viewing platform at the top could provide an exciting contrast to the stone facade and give you plenty of light.
- They go to stand on the viewing platform, teetering like divers on the precipice of hell, and click their camera shutters at the 16 acres of emptiness below.
- The lord and his family ate on a raised platform at one end of the hall.
- The six stood on the landing platform at the base of the yacht's ramp and simply stared at each other for a few seconds.
- Consider the fact that a rider can stand still on its platform, supported only by two wheels on either side, and not roll off in either direction.
- They stood on the platform and they were beamed down to the surface.
- While you're here you can make the pilgrimage to Ground Zero and stand on the viewing platform to stare at the stony emptiness below.
- It now sits at Fort William, complete with a viewing platform and floodlighting for visitors to observe the train revolving.
- The climax of the journey is the viewing platform on the top level.
(opportunity to air views)plataforma femeninotribuna femenino
- With Underground Codes, she provides a platform for a national discussion on race and crime in America.
- People, young and old, from across all communities, races and creeds have had a platform to express those views.
- Well, it's a great opportunity to have a platform on which you can get out the ideas that you think work.
- I may not like the idea of the woman's views being given a platform with no critique, but that is a valid editorial decision.
- I'm not a particularly political person, and this space, over the years, has never been a platform for my personal views or beliefs.
- And we will give them a platform for their views.
- This new programme will deal with topical issues and news stories of the day and provide a platform for listeners' views.
- Last series, he interviewed the Burmese ambassador to Britain under the guise of ‘giving him a platform to express his views’.
- Under Russia's media laws it is prohibited to give terrorists a platform to voice their views.
- They also provide an employee with an opportunity to clear the air, express opinions about how their own expectations have or have not been met, and provide a platform for them to voice any grievances.
- Heller has given a platform to many other voices.
- This has become an important event providing a platform for views and performances.
- He has stayed to have a platform for his views on Europe.
- A few months later, when the research project was completed, Women Without Borders was officially launched to provide a platform where voices of women could be heard.
- I can't help but feel that I should take advantage of this opportunity of a free platform to say something.
- This is why it never even occurred to Rudd or Gillard to utilise the leadership contest as a platform to elaborate policy differences and fight to win new adherents.
- It's not just that there are more than 500 sessions - but virtually every session in turn has a range of different views on the platform.
- Everybody has a view and their own set of interests and the Web provides a valid platform for sharing this voice.
- The congress served as a platform for celebrating the policies of the new French government and its right-wing leaders.
- ‘My hope is that Checkpoint can give a platform to these other voices, these other perspectives,’ he says.
(program)plataforma femeninoprograma masculino
- The Republican Party platform of 1952 included a vehement attack on communists.
- In 1980, however, the Democratic Party platform explicitly declared its support for the Supreme Court's ruling.
- A vote for me will not be wasted, but will be a vote for a socialist political platform.
- The Party platform and election policy are the items of faith upon which trade unions and their members commit to work for the election of Labor Governments.
- But line up conservative religious values next to the current platform of the Republican party and the pieces fit like a jigsaw puzzle.
- However, to everyone's surprise, he almost won a seat in the election by running on a radical platform the Democratic Party had been unwilling to take up.
- Today, a sense of the common good, while retaining a central place in Catholic thought, does not fit easily into the platform of either political party.
- Some radical followers demanded more socialism in the party platform.
- He was also a leading figure in the drafting of the Republican Party's national security platform in the 2000 election.
- We refer him to Labor Party policy and platform and suggest that if he has signed his membership forms, the rest should follow naturally.
- The Democratic Party platform called for federal aid to education administered by the states.
- When I was federal Labor spokeswoman on employment I incorporated social enterprises into the party's election platform.
- Even the state sovereign immunity and anti-commandeering cases seem to comport with the Republican Party platform.
- In the course of the press conference the elected officials sought to distance themselves from anything in the Green Party platform that remotely resembled socialism.
- I also say a big thank you to the people in the Labour Party who accepted this measure as a policy platform at the last election.
- The 1964 platform of the Republican Party did allow tax credits for those burdened by the costs of higher education.
- The referendum was part of the Liberal party's election platform.
- The passage of the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is listed in the Republican Party platform as one of the successes of the Bush administration.
- Another encouraging development was the Democratic Party platform of 1916.
- Who's to say you can't elect a party on a platform of elimination of government in a democratic system?
3.1(on shoe)plataforma femenino
- Shannon spotted Mel lingering in the middle of the commons area, so she high-tailed it as fast as she could in her thick platforms.
- And I really want those platform shoes seen at the end of this collection!
- He comes with a collection of satin platforms, kitten heels and jewel-encrusted flats, and if shoes aren't your bag, maybe handbags are.
- Her boots were tall platforms that extended to her mid-thigh.
- I also had on my PVC jeans and high-heeled platform boots if I remember rightly.
- For women, the silhouette has slimmed down from chunky platforms to a flat with a low or stiletto heel.
- I wore a stretchy blank tank top, faded jeans, and platform sandals.
- I chose a red tube top, black denim mini skirt with matching black denim jacket and red strappy platforms.
- These leather sandals aren't platforms, but they look so glamorous that I couldn't resist mentioning them.
- She was wearing black platform boots that were laced up with silver lace.
- These platforms are about 3 inches high but they are amazingly comfortable I would say even more comfortable than my 1 inch shoes.
- Whatever, I know that I want to wear those 7 " platform heels that I bought in Brighton.
- ‘My name is Tzachi,’ he said with an accent as thick as his platforms.
- One participant completed the course dressed as Wonder Woman in red, glittery platform boots.
- With conventional high heels, the length from ball to heel of a woman's foot limits the shoes' height, but there is no limit with platforms.
- She also wore her platform sandal shoes which she brought from home.
- After several seasons of wedgies and platforms reigning supreme on the streets and in the malls, this year, heels run the gamut.
- And of course, it is only in the world of Miuccia that it's ok to wear stockings with sandal platforms and still look so elegant.
- There was fashion in footwear too, with a mix of high-heels and platforms, though the trend was to keep it simple and comfortable.
- They were knee boots, shiny black platforms with shiny silver buckles.
3.2also platform shoezapato de plataforma masculinotopolino masculino España
- We plan to support more hardware platforms and operating systems.
- The number of devices, screen sizes, operating platforms, and support levels for small-screen browsing is mind-numbing.
- A common hardware platform can make this task easier.
- The days of multiple hardware platforms and operating systems working with multiple databases and software configurations within one enterprise are coming to a close.
- One aspect of using hardware platforms for enabling software is that it inevitably requires porting of existing software solutions onto the platform.
- Multiple hardware platforms for digital photography can currently be used in a pathology laboratory.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.