In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A professor of philosophy whose speciality was Platonism took occasion to tell Christina that Galileo, who was not present, was wrong to say that the earth moved, because that contradicted the Bible.
- However, they drew on a wide range of philosophical sources besides Platonism.
- But to other philosophers and mathematicians Platonism seems extravagant, for reasons that are at least partly epistemological.
- For Heidegger, the history of metaphysics is ‘the history of being’, a series of answers to the basic question of philosophy that extends from Plato to the inversion of Platonism in Nietzsche.
- They explicitly disavow the classical philosophies of formalism, logicism, Platonism, intuitionism, and social constructivism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.