In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- "We have a whole platoon who refuses to sign, " he said.
- There's a whole platoon of people sticking by you and giving support.
- Also at 2nd Platoon's location was the battalion mortar platoon.
- Five days ago he led his platoon into the city to fight the Iraqi army.
- The mortar platoon is the personal artillery battery for the battalion commander.
- I hope this article assists in training mortar platoons in an armor battalion.
- Another force at a light battalion commander's disposal is his antitank platoon or company.
- A platoon of sci-fi marines are dropped into hostile territory, seething with aliens, and they go ballistic.
- The third rifle platoon was committed to reinforce success on the right flank.
- Six months ago, he was in Baghdad leading a platoon of 33 soldiers teaching Iraqis how to be cops.
- An entire platoon of soldiers broke in through the front door.
- Our sergeant led our platoon across Crete displaying great bravery and single-handedly taking out German machine-gun positions.
- A platoon of conventional marines supplemented his mechanized squad.
- A platoon of soldiers stands at a checkpoint on a barren road in the middle of miles and miles of trackless desert.
- A rifle platoon was tasked to delay on either flank.
- Another prominent example of 3rd platoon's contribution was in August 2000.
- The test will be a battle simulation, using paintball guns, against a platoon of marines.
- The heavy armored cavalry troop is organized with a troop headquarters, two scout platoons, two tank platoons, a mortar section, and a maintenance section.
- Tracer rounds ricochet into the sky as rounds land short of the tank platoon.
- The purists will argue that training lieutenants to command such complex platoons will be difficult.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.