In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We have had no major philanderers, dirty financial dealers, international playboys and worst of all, no celebrity candidates!
- Towards the end of his time in racing Stewart also saw the first stirrings of one of the great playboys, James Hunt, who made Button look like a hermit.
- Men who want to avoid paying child support are seen as irresponsible playboys.
- For these playboys, Monaco, home of the most thrilling circuit in the Grand Prix, is undoubtedly their playground, the place where they kick back, soak up the rays on their yachts and party big time.
- He adopted a playboy lifestyle which must have been beyond his wildest dreams when he was growing up.
- I remember when I was in high school, my classmates and I had an impression that only prostitutes and playboys would get the disease.
- These are not wealthy playboys indulging a passion for sport; they are hard-headed businessmen who have made their fortunes by turning one sport from hobby to cash machine.
- If he is to reach his goals, he can't risk burning himself out, so a playboy lifestyle is out.
- While you probably imagined that my family tree was chock-a-block with international playboys and glamorous socialites, I actually come from a long line of caravanners.
- Contrary to popular belief, most girls aren't into macho playboys.
- So, it is a very good combination of strength, and these are not playboys.
- I used to be a womanizing playboy, as you put it, but I've settled down in recent years.
- The heroines could be divorcees with even a child or two, and the men they admire and seek to be with need not always be playboys on the prowl.
- The celebrated playboys had talked each other into believing the match was off, so they were in for a nasty surprise when a thaw set in and they had to go to work against the Belgians.
- But don't be misled: the expensive hotels that lurk behind veils of trees and the occasional flashy yacht are known to spill out tubby bronzed playboys with their trophy girlfriends in mink shawls.
- The playboy lifestyle is not his only weakness according to those who have worked with him.
- They could have been written off as rich liberal Catholic playboys from Boston with no understanding of any issue which matters because they hadn't lived through it themselves.
- She would be spotted, escorted by a string of rich playboys, in nightclubs and restaurants, at the theatre and at private parties.
- He adopts the lifestyle of a dissolute playboy to camouflage his crime-fighting efforts.
- He also offered extremely well-paid jobs to Monaco's best-connected playboys.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.