In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- James was a hard-working farmer, who was a champion ploughman and cattle breeder.
- Bill, who died following a long illness was a black smith by trade and an expert ploughman who won many ploughing competitions at county level as well as the All Ireland Ploughing Championship in Limerick in 1948.
- Even the senior ploughmen found the grassland difficult enough to get the depth.
- Often listed with the number of ploughs, it has been assumed that most would have worked as ploughmen, domestic servants and dairymaids.
- With few marketable skills or capital upon their arrival, Irish men secured only a tenuous foothold in the province's secondary labour market, working as labourers, harvesters, ploughmen and general farm hands.
- Taller than either Walter or Johen, and very thin, he did not look like Walter's mental image of a plowman, especially not one coming from a northern county.
- An earlier agricultural contest, the ploughing match, tested both the ploughman's skill and the plough's efficiency.
- In their heyday in the Victorian era, these powerhouses of energy could plough 20 times faster than a horse-drawn ploughman and his team and were transported from farm to farm.
- In, say, 12 th-century France, the ox behind which a man plowed a field changed, but otherwise the plowman was doing what generations of his ancestors had done and what generations of his descendants would do.
- In fact, a sizeable number was left behind, including the poorest inhabitants of the land such as vinedressers, ploughmen, and artisans.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.